They weren’t even Facebook friends!

Chapters 3-6:

Elizabeth is still emo in New York. This Will Connolly playwright seems like a total asshole. Which is kind of hot. Not every falls at Liz’s feet right away anymore. Shocker! He’s a Todd doppleganger! Well, it seems that Todd has more than one look-a-like. Some guy an an opposing volleyball team, I think. It makes me feel comforted that Francine is still recycling plotlines. This character and Elizabeth’s time in New York, I will admit, it not horrible.

But, let’s allow the horridness of Jim Regis’ party. Todd is so co-dependent on Liz that he can’t go to a party alone? And mind you, Todd is the star of the basketball team. Which, I am to assume is Division I, because they just played UCLA. So he has NO OTHER FRIENDS TO GO WITH?

I don’t mean to generalize all college athletes, but no fucking way would Todd be afraid to go to a party himself. In fact, he wouldn’t even have time for this party, or even have time for his high school friends. UNLESS the rest of the team dislikes him, which is not out of the realm of possibility.

And Jessica and Todd never talking? First off (1) it’s her twin sister’s boyfriend for about 7 years (or 15 years in real world time) (2)She supposedly had a secret affair with him (3)she had a non-secret tryst with him while Elizabeth was on trial for Sam’s death.

So, it seems really off that after one night of having fun at a party, they would throw themselves at each other and “make love” and then meet at seedy diners to continue the affair. What’s the appeal? That he can still have Elizabeth’s physical beauty without her self-righteousness? Well, maybe it’s not so unbelievable.

Jessica’s second marriage: pretty on par for Jessica, to marry someone who gives her attention to feed her narcissism. Didn’t Lila marry some royalty? Shouldn’t she be calling her best friend for advice?

Is it just me, or do these current, technological references seem thrown-in after the fact? Like mentioning that Todd and Jessica “weren’t even Facebook friends” and Jessica would rather be “updating Twitter” than spend time with her rich husband.

You guys, I know that the basis of my existence is tearing these books apart. However, I don’t mean to be this down on it. It’s just a lot of waiting for a lot of letdown.

BUT, for some uplifting news, twitter user @amaluu pointed me to this: THE SWEET VALLEY MUSICAL DOES EXIST! It is so exciting to hear them mentioning the characters names!

6 thoughts on “They weren’t even Facebook friends!

1. Jenn says:

I “love” that Todd is supposedly crazy in love with Jess, living with Liz (at the time) and no one finds it odd that he ends up with Jess. If I was Jess, I’d think he was kind of crazy. Does she not think it’s icky that he was sleeping with her twin the whole time? Plus she’s married to someone else and he pretty much says nothing. Shouldn’t Todd be flying around the world to drag her home?

2. Katie says:

I completely agree with the technological references feeling ‘thrown in’- it’s as if Francine asked her granddaughter what was ‘in’ nowadays and chucked it in there.
    I’ve just finished the book, and feel totally let down. The whole tone of the book seems different in a way I can’t pin-point- miserable and un-Sweet Valley.
    It’s like meeting up with friends you haven’t seen in a long time, and realising they’re twats.

3. Dani says:

Technology soooo added after the fact. So it’s supposed to be in the 2010-2011 world (facebook and twitter) but Winston and Bruce (who are 27 like everyone else) supposedly made their fortune in the dot com boom, and were lucky enough to get out before it crashed. Which was in, like 1995, when these characters would have still been in middle school.

• Anonymous says:

Haha, wouldn’t be more relivant if they got out just before the world financal crisis, rather than the dotcom boom

4. Emme says:

I need more updates on this book. I am reading it now, hating it, and my only hope was that Ihatewheat would have funny blog entries about it.
    But, it does give me the same feeling the old books did – I hate Jessica and I hate Elizabeth even more for forgiving her. Also, isn’t it incredibly annoying that not only do they keep referencing facebook etc, but Jessica so hates that and like totally did this etc.

5. Olivia says:

I just got around to reading this book and it makes me really sad. The whole tone of the book wasn’t as fun as the Sweet Valley Books and the inconsistancies drove me nuts. I was expecting a few but some of the mistakes they made were huge. I also disliked that they put some random characters in the “what they are doing now” rundown at the end of the book but missed some of the main characters.
    I have to look at this book as an intersting story but not a part of the Sweet Valley Series.