Proof of my devotion

When you are embarassed about a photo, what better way to deal with it than to post it for all the web to see? My father recently unearthed lots of old slides and scanned them and sent them to me. Among oodles of pictures of me with a bowl haircut, birthday parties at Pizza Hut, and on vacation at Sesame Place, each year our birthdays were recorded. Alas, my eleventh birthday:

Yes, my parents got me a t-shirt (or is that a snuggie?) that says “So many books…so little time”, because, you know, wearing that to junior high would ensure instant success. And I can’t remember if that is technically a perm or a body wave. Is there even a difference? You can see that year I was gaga over Christopher Pike, and I can identify those as Scavenger Hunt, Gimme a Kiss…and I don’t know. But there is a definitely a Fabulous Five Super Special lurking underneath there, and a book called Breaking Up With Ernie that I recall being obsessed with.

Skip ahead a year, to my twelfth birthday…the perm is still there (yeouch) and my excitement is over the Baby-sitters Club Calendar.

For the love of Pete, I hope my outfit was just the pajamas. The best thing about the calendar is  that there was a “map” of Stoney Brook in the back, and it was not what I imagined at all. The neighborhood of course only consisted of the people mentioned, and Kristy only seemed to live a few blocks away from the rest. Did they think we wouldn’t notice the cartological inconsistencies?

To help you erase these images from your mind, I’ve got exciting news. I’m in touch with a former SVU ghostwriter and I will be posting an interview soon, as well as a giveaway of some signed books as well as her new book.

22 thoughts on “Proof of my devotion

1. Ravenous World says:

I think it’s awesome you had the guts to post those pics up. I would also like to thank my mother for NEVER letting me have that perm I use to throw tantrums over (and yet she allowed me to fashion a boys hair cut when I was 11.. Why didn’t she stop me when it really counted that revolting cut still gives me night terrors) or that hyper colour t-shirt I wanted cause all the cool kids had em. Ah the cruelty known as the late 80’s/early 90’s. Go those bike pants go!

Wow, I admire your bravery in putting up photos you’re embarrassed about! I remember being desperate to use one of those hair crimping irons, but I was never allowed, because my mum said it would damage my hair. Looking back, I am so grateful to her for refusing, and preventing any photographic evidence from appearing.

Can’t wait for the ghostwriter interview as well!

3. nikki says:

We’re peas in a pod. I also was annoyed by the map in the BSC calendar. And also they posted where Alan Gray’s house was but not Logan’s??? WTF?

My nerd T-shirt said “A room without books is like a body without a soul.” A quote I believe from Thomas Jefferson.

4. Cally says:

I had a shirt that said “I’d Rather Be Reading.” I miss that thing, actually. And you got the BSC calendar!! Lucky! And those pics are cute. Honestly. At least people can tell you were a girl in them; when I cut my hair in ’95 (after being down to my waist), I honestly looked like a little boy. *Glowers at my stupid younger self* Moron.

5. Lily says:

I remember keeping my calendar out when reading the books, using it as some kind of reference guide when they would describe where people were, haha. For my birthday, my husband bought me a “Reading is Sexy” shirt to replace all of my other reading paraphanalia… apparently this is better?!? And regarding the haircuts – yeah, at least you didn’t have three aunts who were hairdressers in the late 80s / early 90s and bombarded you with every new styling tool and trend throughout middle school. Yeah, i was super cool at the time… now I’m just an example of the biggest casualty of the crimping iron!

6. Neek1981 says:

Is that a one thousand piece jigsaw puzzle I spot on the coffee table in front of you?

Also, I totally remember that book How I Broke up with Ernie. I was also obsessed with a book called Twenty Ways to Lose Your Best Friend. Anyone remember that one?

7. Kate says:

Oh my goodness, I had that hair (from 1991 to 1997) and that calendar! I also remember one birthday getting the BSC planner for my birthday.

I didn’t have any nerdy t-shirts, but I did have a poster by Kiki titled “Book Woman.”

8. Vanessa Saxton says:

IHW, you just went up several notches in my book! I love this! Fantastic as always. Next time I am in the San Fran area I would love to get your autograph!

9. Sadako says:

I thought the map was way too small, too. I was all, “Why did Charlie need to drive Kristy? Why did Kristy need to take the bus or even bike? She could WALK over!”

10. Amanda Nicole says:

Oh. Wow.

You could very well have switched out your face for my own in these pics, except that my frizzy curls were au naturel. I’m pretty sure we had the same wallpaper in the kitchen, too.

11. BartTempleton says:

What a cutie pie! Were these from 1992 or thereabouts? I’m getting an aura of “early 90s.”

A few years before this, I too had a perm…but it was a straight perm (relaxer). I chopped that all off in 5th grade and allowed myself to rock one-inch’s worth of my natural hair. Don’t know what I was thinking, because my round happy face was immensely UN-flattered by that look.

I don’t recall owning a shirt, but I had bookmarks and such that said things like “Bookworm,” etc.

I hope you kept that shirt as a badge of honor. I’ve never met a “bookish” middle school girl who didn’t turn out totally awesome as an adult.

By contrast, many of the less literate “popular” girls in school…well, the less said about their embarassing and sometimes tragic fates, the better. A mild and humorous example would be the “popular” girls in MURIEL’s WEDDING.

12. hungryandfrozen says:

What! There was a BSC calendar! My 12-year-old self is jealous of your 12-year-old self. I don’t think I had any tshirts like that but I most definitely would have worn one.

Very much looking forward to your interview…ghostwriters are fascinating.

13. Mary Anne Bruno says:

“Yes, my parents got me a t-shirt (or is that a snuggie?) that says “So many books…so little time”, because, you know, wearing that to junior high would ensure instant success.”

hahahaha, Love!

I am jealous that your parents knew you well enough to get you what you wanted for your birthdays. I was holed up in my room reading YA lit and my parents still assumed I would want dolls for my birthday.

I, too, hope you kept this shirt because it is pretty awesome.

14. Jen S says:

Hey, at least you avoided neon. Ah, neon, the color palette gauranteed to make any complexion look like its owner was succumbing to malaria.

I had many a perm in my youth, until I realized that the idea of turning straight hair into curly hair was a chimera and a lie. Turning straight hair into frizzled, raveled threads that broke off at a touch is more like it.

15. erynq says:

A) You’re adorable
    B) OMG, is that Mike Seaver sitting across the table from you? Rawr!
    C) That map also made me angry
    D) We should create our own maps of Stoneybrook (and possible the blueprints of the inside of their houses) and see how they compare. I have very specific images in my head.

16. Mary Anne Bruno says:

I just reread this post and have to comment on how happy your brother (I assume that’s who it is) is for you. That’s just sweet.

I am all for the Stoneybrook map idea! Too bad I have no clue how to make it happen, but if someone does make it happen, I want to see it!

• CNJ says:

Yuck, Bruno so does NOT sound compatible with Mary Anne…you know those two broke up for good later in the series when Logan became a real jerk to poor Mary Anne.

I’ve always loved sweet Mary Anne and knew she deserved better.