Silly me for assuming that these Super Star Editions would give some insight on the characters that the regular series didn’t have time to do because they spent too many pages talking about sea-green eyes and lavalieres. So, class, what have we learned from this book? Todd is boring and has Daddy issues and spends most of his time playing basketball and thinking about how sweet and kind Liz Wakefield is.

It’s summer again. Again. Liz and Todd are feeling the fizzle go out of their relationship, so they decide to sign up to be camp counselors for a two-week camp run by the parks department or something. Yea, nothing says romance like working like crazy for two weeks running around chasing kids and the only time spent together is in the company of children. And also, this rekindling thing? Are they on Yes Dear? What teenagers talk about their relationships like that?

So, because Sweet Valley is the #1 vacation destination for sociopaths to move to so they can enact revenge, Kevin Holmes turns up as one of the counselors in the camp. The back story is that when Todd was “living” in “Vermont”, he witnessed this guy Kevin mugging someone, and Todd being Todd, pinned the guy down until the police came. Then Kevin’s father tried to bribe him to not testify, but Todd being Todd, did his civic duty and went ahead and testified and Kevin got a jail sentence. Kevin vowed to get back at Todd.

Margo should take pointers from this guy. Kevin manipulates everyone into liking him and hating Todd, and threatens Elizabeth’s life if Todd reveals his identity. Meanwhile, Kevin also starts working at Todd’s fathers’ firm, and take an interest in the business, something Todd never does. So now Kevin has turned Todd’s dad against him too. This Kevin guy is a really good sociopath! Which is no wonder why Jessica spends no time rubbing up his non-existence Ken Doll genitals.

So after about eight chapters of Todd being emo and he and Liz squabbling, they decide to break up. Then something not exciting enough to go into detail happens in which another female counselor is mugged, and Kevin frames Todd for it. Todd threatens to turn Kevin in and while Todd is in jail briefly, Kevin lures Elizabeth into the woods and starts to strangler her but Todd gets out of jail and there just in time! Lovers reunited, justice served, and another 45 minutes of my life I will never get back.

By now I am pretty sure that the publishers over at Bantam took the first draft of anything anyone wrote and released it in the series.

Here’s an excerpt of Kevin talking trash about Todd:

Kevin lowered his voice. “There was an…incident with a girl. Nobody knows exactly what happened.” Kevin paused significantly. “But she had to jump out of the car to get away from him. She walked home.” Jessica’s mouth went dry. At that moment, she was relieved that her sister had broke up with Todd.

I’ll tell you what happened. This girl was trying to get some action from Todd and all he wanted to do was give her butterfly kisses and make metaphors about the colors of her eyes. So she bailed. And is Jessica most appalled by the girl having to walk home? And listen Missy, let us not forget when you tried to claim that Todd attacked you. She was probably pissed that someone stole her scheme.

Friends, if you’ve been keeping track, I’ve only a few more recaps to finish the first hundred. The end is nigh…

25 thoughts on “Another Todd and Liz breakup and death threat for the twins; it must be a Tuesday.

1. Jen S says:

Who the hell modeled for that cover? A young Donny Osmond with a severe case of pencil neck?

And I’ve gotta say Kevin takes that sociopath ball and just runs with it! Though now that he and Jessica have met it’s a neck and neck race–WHO WILL WIN???

2. Whallie says:

This book filled me with so much fire when I read it. I hate how everyone knows Todd since they were in diapers but then, along comes in this new guy that’s oddly, way too cool and nice. All of a sudden those knob-ends who knew Todd forever are against him, just like that, thinking that he’s the bad guy! ARGH! Even Liz pissed me off like never before. Yes, Liz. Your boyfriend of 2,000 summers woke up one morning and decided that butterfly kisses and Koala bear hugs didn’t suit his maddening rage of needing to hurt people.

Todd reminds me of a young Ralf Macchio on this cover. He’s just missing the floral bandanna.

3. Cally says:

Neck and hairline aside, this was one of my favorite paintings of Todd. It’s the eyes. Oh, and huuuuge WORDY MCWORDWORD!!! on the whole “Why wouldn’t you believe Todd if you knew him since at least second grade?” thing. Ugh. Random: My copy of this book still has a Personal Profiles stuck on the inside front cover. (Anyone else save those copies of the Oracle the fan club sent?)

4. BartTempleton says:

I already know quite enough about Todd’s psyche from the bits and pieces revealed in other books, thank you very much. I don’t need to go deep “in there” and see anymore than is comfortable for me.

I was sort of hoping, though, that this one would feature triple the amount of french fry-milkshake kisses with Elizabeth and homoerotic hot dog banter with Ken Matthews.

There should be a battle of the SVH Sociopath Allstars. Or a basketball game. There are certainly enough to form two teams’ worth. Carl the Orderly and Kevin could work on “passing the ball” to one another. The question is, which team would have the benefit of Margo? She might have to be referee in fairness to both teams.

5. Vanessa Saxton says:

Don’t these camps run criminal background checks? Sheesh. I don’t think I even knew there was Todd Super Star. Glad I didn’t know based on this re-cap.
    And what’s up with “the end is nigh…” ? Noooooooooo!!!!!!

Given that Margo managed to convince everybody (including the Wakefields) that she was Liz, I don’t find it hard to believe that they would turn against Todd. They seem to be very easily swayed. Although Kevin is the least menacing of the many sociopaths to arrive in Sweet Valley.

These Super Star books sucked ass. Why do they all seem to focus on anybody BUT the character on the cover? Todd’s is all about Kevin, Bruce’s is about his competitive grandfather, and Lila’s is about her wicked almost-stepmother.

As for your last paragraph, I’m not looking forward at all to the end of this blog! I’ll miss your snark and everybody’s comments 😦

• BartTempleton says:

>>>>As for your last paragraph, I’m not looking forward at all to the end of this blog! I’ll miss your snark and everybody’s commen

Hold up! I don’t recall IHW saying she would stop at 100.

Are you serious??

This is a major loss to the blogosphere.

• Magpie says:

I’m pretty sure Ihatewheat wrote somewhere that she would stop after the first 100… although please, IHW, correct me if I’m wrong, because I really hope I misunderstood you! 🙂

7. Whallie says:

Yeah! IHW, you can’t stop at book #100. I have plenty of SVH books past that one that I can mail you to recap on. Your blogs get me through my boring job during the day. Plus, I like rereading the recaps of the ones you did already.

My plan has been to do the first 100 books, plus the old-school super specials and super thrillers. I am however flattered by all your encouragement.

I think at some point I will run out of ways to say “this book sucked.”

• Whallie says:

Would you be willing to post recaps from other people who read the book then? Cuz I would totally help out since I have way too many SVH books.

• I hate meat. says:

Um, well, there’s always SV Twins and University. Same town, different shenanigans, great snark.

• nenipoo says:

Noooooooooo! Don’t stop at 100! Your SVH recaps are the perfect antidote to the blues. Everytime am in front of my laptop, I find myself chuckling several time when you point out the inane plotline and laugh harder at your comments. Please don’t stop!!

9. Evil Twin says:

Hey…Ihatewheat…Have you read the University series? If not, please do and do a blog like this one on them. Your insight is hilarious. If you had read them…now’s the time to write about them. You’ll have a field day…Keep us posted.

10. Laura says:

Poetry:

“I’ll tell you what happened. This girl was trying to get some action from Todd and all he wanted to do was give her butterfly kisses and make metaphors about the colors of her eyes. So she bailed.”

Even fictional characters gotta get some now and again.