welcome to my world

My lack of updates is due to the fact that I just purchaed my first home, and I’ve been busy with escrow and contractors and all that other stuff I still don’t really understand. Over the weekend I worked on repainting the place. I’ve always likes the look of brown walls, and I painted my common area a chocolate brown. After standing back and admiring it, I think….

…yes, some of you realized it already. Jessica Wakefield is so crazy that she on a whim painted her bedroom walls chocolate brown, which her family affectionately calls “The Hershey Bar.”

Yes, I’m thirty-one, just purchased my new home, and I am comparing myself to Jessica Wakefield. Fuck my life.

32 thoughts on “welcome to my world

1. I hate meat. says:

Congradulations IHW! So what if you’re still comparing your life to La Di Dah Wakefield’s, you just BOUGHT YOUR OWN HOME, DAMMIT!!!!! That is an accomplishment that they can never take away from you, regardless of how many SVH books you read as a girl. I am looking foward to the day when I can do the same.

*formerly Belle, I had to change it, couldn’t resist 🙂

2. Jadie says:

Congrats on the new home. If anyone comments on your lovely chocolate walls, tell them that you were inspired by an old pal called Jessica.

Also, didn’t she only paint one wall brown, then got bored?

3. Rio says:

Just make sure you don’t put a Eugene O’Neill poster on your bedroom wall. And even if you do, who cares? It’s a home all your own!

4. Fran says:

Congrats on your new home! I find myself comparing things I’ve done to the Sweet Valley world every once in awhile…. sad but true.

But didn’t Liz also describe Jessica’s room as looking like a mud-wrestling pit because it was so messy the whole time? I’m sure yours is classy! Anyway, congrats on owning your own place – hope you and Regina are both settling in well.

6. Cally says:

Awesome! Congratulations, IHW. And you don’t need to worry about your sanity until you start a letter writing business to pay for the cost of painting the walls purple. 😉

7. Whallie says:

Congrats on the new home. The Hershey brown walls aren’t so much of a problem. But if were to tell us that you bought a Spanish-style house well then…I think the wonderful and glamorous world of Sweet Valley has finally gotten the best, I mean, the worst of you. Finger sandwiches, anyone?

8. bookslide says:

Congrats! Brown is classy–just punch it up with reds or tans or golds and no one will ever make that connection.

9. Jen S says:

Awesome! Hell, woman, I’m 38 and still living in a one bedroom with beige carpet and “offwhite accented with mold” for my wall decor! Paint the damn walls and damn color you damn well like because you’re a homeowner, damnit!

10. Vanessa Saxton says:

Wasn’t it you who said, “you would think at thirty I would be, I don’t know, buying property but no I buy SV books” ? Well, I am 32 today and STILL haven’t thought about buying property but I do still buy SV books. Nothing wrong with some wakefield inspirations now and again. But congrats all the same!

11. UndomesticWife says:

I remember reading about Jessica’s brown walls and being mortified that they weren’t purple anymore like they were in middle school when she was a member of the exclusive Unicorn Club. It was like, “who IS this person?”

Then as a college freshman she goes on to marry a psycho, and my mind was officially blown.

• BartTempleton says:

They were brown first, child. TWINS didn’t come out till at least a few years after DOUBLE LOVE (when The Hershey Bar was introduced).

12. BartTempleton says:

You’re living the American Dream. I say that with tongue in cheek (after all, the Wakefields are meant to be the model Dream-livers)…but also with admiration and delight on your behalf. Well done, IHW.

Now get thee into your spacious new quarters to read and recap!

13. Miss Moppet says:

You can take the girl out of Sweet Valley, but you can’t take Sweet Valley out of the girl.

Congratulations on becoming a homeowner!

Have you thought about putting in a Spanish tile kitchen?

14. Donna says:

Congratulations – fantastic news! However much we associate chocolate walls with Jess, I doubt that Jess would be capable of home ownership! Wishing you lots of happiness in your new abode and I am sure we would all love to see pics as soon as you are settled.

15. perfectsize12 says:

Congratulations!!!

All I can say is that I’m glad you compared yourself to Jessica. If you had compared yourself to Elizabeth, I think we would have a problem.

16. Janelle says:

You definitely gotta add some spanish-tiles and an avacado-colored fridge to your kitchen! And there are bedrooms connected by a bathroom aren’t there?!

Congrats on the house- I’m totally jealous! I’ve been fantasizing about my dream condo for weeks now- but unfortunately that is a long, long way off for me!

17. EmilyKate says:

hehehehehehehhe we’re looking for a house to buy too and we walked into one that was painted all brown, but not a nice brown, with that textured paint thats sposed to look like suede . Anyway I took one look and said to my fella ‘it’s like being in a giant loafer.. or Jessica Wakefield’s bedroom!’ I’m sure yours will look great :o)