the plot, in a nutshell

Plans to create very Aryan offspring were thwarted when Wakefield and French broke up, authorities said on Tuesday.

Lila: Todd is moving back to Sweet Valley!

Liz: Oh no, I still love him. Wait, but I love Jeffrey!

Todd: Hi Liz.

Liz: I love Todd!

Jeffrey: Hi Liz!

Liz: I love Jeffrey!

Todd: Hi Liz!

Liz: I love Todd!

Jeffrey: Hi Liz.

Liz: I love Jeffrey!

Todd: Hi Liz.

Liz: I love Todd!

One week later….

Jeffrey: Hi Liz!

Liz: I love Jeffrey!

Todd: Hi Liz!

Liz: I love Todd! But wait, Todd doesn’t love me. I guess I love Jeffrey. By default.

Todd: Liz, I still love you.

Liz: I love you too! Jeffrey, despite risking our relationship, hatched a plan so you and I can get back together! He’s so unselfish! Let’s reward him by sending him into the SVH character Bermuda Triangle. Only to emerge as a funky fresh DJ in our alternate reality senior year.

Todd: Too much talking, not enough smooching, Liz.

51 thoughts on “the plot, in a nutshell

1. Cally says:

Ah, the SVH Bermuda Triangle… where he can join such fan favorites as Kristin Thompson, Sara and Tim Eastborne, Lynne Henry, Lila’s cousin Christopher…

• MT says:

Hahahaha at SVH Bermuda Triangle! There are so many characters that should go there … remember Todd’s old girlfriend Patsy Webber who showed up around book 8 or so? And Peter West .. Tim Bradley .. Helena Bradley … Tim Houseman … Artie … bla bla bla …
      ~M.T.

2. jms says:

I’ve always liked Jeffrey, but he is a bit too blond on this cover.

What guy wouldn’t love Liz? She’s the most perfectest girl EVAR. And she plays the recorder.

3. Neek1981 says:

Liz and Jeff look like brother and sister on this cover. At least Todd looked pretty decent on the covers every now and then. On this cover, Liz looks so…brokenhearted. Jeff looks kinda bored. I think I read this one. Didn’t Lila have the jones for Jeffrey at one point?

• Cally says:

*grins* You did not even just make that reference. Flowers in the Attic used to be one of my favorite books. (Is it better than or worse than the world of SVH? Still can’t decide.) Side note, the title Brokenhearted has always bugged me. But I guess they couldn’t use Heartbroken and have people confuse it with #8. :/

4. Bridget Locke says:

I read these recaps and they seriously make my head hurt. Elizabeth was annoying, Todd was a milquetoast and Jeffrey had to be gay. No guy would hatch a plot to get his girlfriend with another guy EVER! *shakes head* Seriously, the ghostwriters have to be mental.

Or maybe I’m just jealous because I’ve been single for so stinkin’ long that I’m jealous of a fictional character. *sigh* My life sucks. 😛

5. Rio says:

As much as I love Todd-brand hilarity, Jeffrey was better for Liz than he was; he actually called her out on her shit once in a while.

• maybeimamazed02 says:

Jeffrey was also more witty (at least by Sweet Valley standards) and was into both soccer and photography: a vast improvement over lunkhead Todd, who was into basketball and pool-pushing. I always preferred Jeffrey myself. Though not on this cover, ew.

• Magpie says:

This is why I prefer Jeffrey, too! I remember in the book when they eventually get together, Liz is playing her usual mind games, and Jeffrey’s all “WTF I don’t need this drama”. I was cheering that she ended up having to crawl to him and apologise, whereas Todd just seemed to lie down and invite her to trample all over him.

6. Sarah says:

My favorite part of this book was that Todd came back to SV and was totally RICH now! As if in the span of less than one year and without winning the lottery his parents could become millionaires. What was the replacement car for Todd’s humble green Datsun again?

7. Whallie says:

What it comes down to is that Liz likes to be with Todd cuz he’s a dumb jock and she can tell him what to do whenever she wants. Todd has no balls.

P.S. Jeffery’s hand looks way too big for his body.

8. Carly says:

This book blew my mind in so many ways…

1) How did Todd’s dad get so rich so quickly? He’s able to buy a mansion and send his kid to private school, all on the basis on a promotion? I’m thinking there’s some drug dealing going on in the background, and I’m surprised Liz didn’t sniff it out and give Mr. Wilkins a lecture which would make him see the error of his ways

2) Jeffrey being handed Liz on a plate but deciding to be noble and let her be with Todd. because he totally wouldn’t have used it as the opportunity to cement his relationship with Liz and maybe even get lucky. High school boys are very noble, I’ve always thought.

3) The fact that Jeffrey ends things, so we don’t have to think Liz is a total bitch for dumping her boyfriend the minute her ex turns up with loads of money. Although I do.

4) The fact that Todd is somehow obliged to date the daughter of someone who works at his father’s company, and thinks at least his dad will be pleased he’s taking Courtney to the dance. Courtney is like the rich version of Jessica- who wouldn’t want that for their child?

5) Jessica thinking how glamorous and rich the name Sheffield is… she should google Sheffield, England, to see just how glam it really is!

• Belle says:

Why, is Sheffield, UK like a slum town or something? When that name came up I automaticaly thought of the father in ‘The Nanny’. Maybe Jess thought the same thing.

9. beckyslife101 says:

Ha, I remember this on! I was so in love with Todd that I was clearly rooting for him the whole way. Looking back, I agree with Carly’s comment – how did Todd’s dad get so rich so quickly?? Only in Sweet Valley (because clearly the Wilkinses had to move back for them to really enjoy their new wealth.) Ridiculous, but it still sucked me in, ha.

10. Jen S says:

Carly, I always assumed that Todd’s dad “did work” for certain families in New Jersey who were all involved in “sanitation.” Hey, nice work if you can get it, and you can get it if you try to hold the gun steady and bury the body upstate.

As for Todd and Jeffry, they both have what they want–Liz not having sex with them! Hurrah!

“…winter… for England… and Fraaaaaaaance…”

11. Whallie says:

I really wish they’d release the other seasons of the Sweet Valley High TV show than just season one. I remember them having this book/story base on an episode.

• Janelle says:

I wish they’d release the other seasons, too! I’ve only ever seen the first season (we didn’t get the UPN where I lived when the show was on). As horrible as the show is and as much as I hate it- I still have a sick desire to watch all of it! I tried to find it online the other day but couldn’t find it anywhere:( Oh well.

12. opangster says:

I always thought jeffrey was a douche. i never liked him, even when he first came on scene with his buddy…what was his name? aaron? as for todd – well, let’s just stop right there.
    anyway – now that i got that out of the way, i have to add, back in the day, this was one of my favorite books, because who doesnt love the angst of a love triangle!

this is kind of off topic, but does anyone remember early on in the SVH series, didnt todd have a younger sister? i swear i am not crazy. they (and when i say “they” i mean all the ghost writers who could not keep up for sh*t and messed up the continuity of the series, but that is another day and another time) wrote her in one book, and todd was saying “my sister…” and then all of a sudden, todd was an only child.

• sara says:

Todd totally did have a younger sibling, though I this it was a brother. He said something to Liz in one of the earliest books (like, 2 or 3, I think) about having to stay home because his brother was sick or something about Halloween and his brother being sick then. I can’t remember exactly but YES, a sibling did exist at some point!

• MT says:

Yes, they definitely mentioned that he had a sister in one of the early books. I’m reading them from beginning to end and there are tons of characters in each one that I have never heard of/were never mentioned again, so I’m not surprised. For example, there are at least two or three different Tims so far, and I’m only on book 24.

• Magpie says:

Yeah, I think in one book there was a sister, in another he had a brother, and finally he was an only child. I think his dad’s name changed from Jim to Bert as well! I think those ghostwriters needed read their Sweet Valley Bible more thoroughly.

13. Neek1981 says:

Opangster, I don’t remember if Todd had a sister or not, but I swear they mentioned a younger brother for Amy back in the SVT series. I only remember Amy’s brother being mentioned once, though.

14. Bridget Locke says:

Continuity is so not the ghostwriters strong point. If I remember correctly (and I’m getting old, so that’s not unlikely) in one of the last books I read…which I think was 70-something, they changed how Regina died. In fact, I remember reading that and being so disgusted that that was it.

She snorted coke and had a heartattack. They changed it to weed somewhere along the line. *shakes head*

• Janelle says:

Wow- that’s weird! I don’t remember them changing it in any of my books (I’ve re-read all of them over the last few years)- maybe they changed it in a later edition?

• Cally says:

I don’t remember that either. However, I’ve always had a tendency to go to Lala Land during unnecessary summarizations of stuff we already know, so I may have skipped right past that error.

15. Mary Anne Bruno says:

I love your opening to the post. 🙂

Geez, they could have at least TRIED to make Jeffery French look cute. Poor guy already has the wierd name and is gonna lose his popularity at SVH (if you’re not with the Wakefields, it’s over), it’s the least they could have done.

16. Carly says:

Another thing I remembered- did Jeffrey not refer to Todd becoming rich as ‘the icing on an already very attractive cake?’

I remember thinking even as an innocent teen… kind of sounded like Jeffrey found the cake a bit tempting himself!

17. Bridget Locke says:

*snorts* So, maybe my old memory defeated me…but I’m 99% sure they changed how she died….man, that’s going to drive me crazy now, but not crazy enough to reread these. Oh, I know!!! It was in one of the SVU (heh) books…can’t remember which one.

Anyone else read those? Were they as creepy as I remember them being? Jessica became an actual slut (as in actually had sex…wow!) and Liz was just weird.

Eh, it’s late and my brain has stopped working. Hence, my confusion. lol

• MT says:

I haven’t read any of the SVU books, but that’s interesting they actually allowed sex in there. I’m guessing the sex scenes weren’t very explicit.
      ~M.T.

• Cally says:

Oh, yeah. Jessica loses her virginity in SVU #2 (off-screen, of course), and this is the way they tell it: “…blah blah blah, everything this morning was exactly the same as before. Except for one thing. Last night she had made love for the very first time.” There’s also a mention of how she’d felt things she had never experienced before. Also, occasionally Liz and Tom (her main SVU boyfriend) get a little hot, but nothing PG13 related.

• Neek1981 says:

I actually liked reading SVU back in middle and high school. I thought they were a bit more realistic than SVH (but that’s not saying much!)
        The first six books were my fave. Liz has trouble adjusting to college life, especially after Jess abandons her and spends all of her time with Mike (the guy who took her v-card) and her sorority. Then, Todd dumps her because she won’t have sex with him. Then, she gains like twenty pounds, but of course she bounces back. She meets Tom Watts. I remember thinking back in seventh grade that Tom Watts was so romantic and smart (hey, I was only 12, don’t crucify me) and a much better fit for her than Todd.
        The minor characters were more interesting than the boring SVH side characters. Anyone remember Liz’s southern belle roommate or the enigmatic William White with his white-blond hair and ice-blue eyes?

18. MT says:

About the SVU/virginity: So we’re really supposed to buy that Jess didn’t lose it to Bruce Patman in book 3? I have to call shenanigans on that one, Francine!
    ~M.T.

19. Whallie says:

I was just looking at all of the Sweet Valley High book covers. And there are a few with Todd on it that are OK looking. Then I saw book #68 The Love Bet. Okay…Todd, YOU ARE REALLY REALLY HOT! Liz looks like she’s asking for “it” and not from Todd, but Todd… Seriously, Babe I’ll date you!

20. Janet Howell says:

I had two of these books. One I bought for myself, one a gift from my parents. Ugh.

I liked Jeffrey! He’s from Oregon right? I wonder what happened to him post-SVH. Did he hook up with Olivia Davidson somewhere? Oh wait she’s dead, right? I’m getting confused now.

21. James says:

I always thought Jeffrey got a raw deal. He was too normal for SVH. Played soccer, liked photography, was good natured, humble, and never took crap from anybody-especially Liz. He had to go.