Nobody Likes Betsy Hanes, if she really did write this.

And at least I’ve reached the last of the Taffy Sinclair series. Mind you, this one overlaps with the Fabulous Five series. And let’s just assume that at this point, Bets just handed over a pen to a lowly editorial intern to write this one. I refuse to live in a world where Betsy Haynes produces this garbage. It’s like…a Sweet Valley High book.

To refresh your memory, Taffy just got back from Hollywood where she was filming a tv movie. She’s back in good ol’ Bridgeport, CT but it’s just so hard to adjust! I mean, she’s been to Hollywood! And no one understands what it’s like! She’s really not making it easy to adjust when she joins the video club at school and scoffs at everyone when they don’t know what “blocking” means. And no one believes that she’s friends with Raven Blaine!

Rumor has it that No One Likes Tiffany Stafford is going to be picked up as a tv series. Meanwhile, Taffy tries to adjust to life with her bff, Shawnie Pendergast, who made a new friend whiles she was away. The gal sings in a band, and Taffy plots to take over so she will be in the band. But, meanwhile, her movie is picked up for a tv series, and she has to leave to go back to Hollywood anyway. Ok…the point?

I don’t have anything clever for this one. Except that maybe it was a reject in the Taffy fanfiction contest.

14 thoughts on “Nobody Likes Betsy Hanes, if she really did write this.

1. EmilyKate says:

How profoundly strange. The Taffy Sinclair books never came out down here in Australia, but the Fabulous Five books did. Even at twelve, I had the thought that my mother should be stopping me from reading that series, that it was bad for me. I think she didn’t because she never took a close look at them, she probably had them confused with Enid Blyton’s Famous Five

2. Rio says:

I must say, Laura McCall was a much better beautiful blond archnemesis for Jana Morgan. Taffy never inspired too much of a reaction, but I always wanted to beat Laura into submission with a frozen bag of bread.

3. Vanessa Saxton says:

Another thing on the cover art- the sign in the back says “Wake” Who else thought Wakefield when they saw this? Be honest!

4. RollingStone says:

What a stupid ending for a series. Wouldn’t it have made more sense for “The Truth About Taffy Sinclair” to be the last book? Instead, she goes to Hollywood and lives happily ever after (as far as I know) so the last book doesn’t exactly create sympathy for her – it just makes her look like a snob again. On the other hand, I have no idea whose side the reader is supposed to be on throughout this entire series. But since I never read these classics as a kid, I could be wrong; feel free to correct me.

• maybeimamazed02 says:

Word. Granted, Taffy did a couple of bitchy things to the Fab Five, BUUUUT looking back, they were really awful to her. I mean, “the Against Taffy Sinclair Club”? That’s incredibly mean. Really, by the time Taffy Sinclair Goes to Hollywood (or whatever it’s called when she films the movie), I was Team Taffy. Maybe because I was picked on a lot from sixth to eighth grade, but there ya go.

5. Rita says:

Awwww…I liked the Taffy books. I didn’t really see what Randy Kirwan saw in Jana, really. She was a bitch. I know they’re stupid and all, but they aren’t as stupid at SVH. and Betsy Haynes teaches an online class at UCLA’s Extension School as part of the writing program. I was actually going to sign up for it, but I figured I should probably should save the $500 for a root canal or something.

But wow, the 1970s Taffy was so different from the 80s/90s Taffy.

6. Krysten H says:

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who thinks she’s the spitting image of Stacey from the BSC TV Show. I saw on some site that the actress became a lawyer which oddly seems like a very Stacey thing to do.

7. renee del mar says:

That’s so funny so many people said that Taffy looks like Stacey from the Baby Sitter’s Club show…I was thinking the exact same thing…and I also laughed because I thought no one else would remember that girl’s name was Jessica Prunell (I think I remember her from some 80’s Jordache ads in Barbie magazine back then) but I see one person did. Now I feel a little less dorky.