What I’m reading

Or rather, what I have read. It’s true, I also read age-appropriate books!

Scarlett Thomas, The End of Mr. Y. Read this for my book club. Zoinks, there was a lot going on! Apparently it is dubbed “chick lit for geeks”. Whatever. This had its flaws but it really was a page turner. It is about a grad student in English lit and thought experiments who finds her way into the Troposhpere, which is the physical manifestation of everyone’s collective unconscious. Yea, also includes some quantum physics, time travel, religion, and secret government wartime weapons. Yes, quite ambitious.

Motley Crue, The Dirt. Pretty badly written, but fascinating and trashy. If you have the fascination and obsession with 80s metal that I do. I cannot believe how much drugs these guys consumed and can live to tell about it. And how their record company encouraged it. The drugs helped them write good albums. [Example: Theater of Pain was written sober. And it sucks. However, Dr. Feelgood, also written sober, is awesome.] Also, Nikki Sixx is my husband.

Junot Diaz, The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I’m mixed on this one, despite everyone going gaga over it. [I mean, the Pulitzer Prize are about as legit to me as the Grammy Awards.] It is written from different characters perspectives, which I usually love, but the only one I really cared about was Oscar, and that was less than half the book. He was such a tragic figure and epic nerd, and I loved him for that. Even no one else did. Basically, I’m the white female version of Oscar.

Chuck Klosterman IS MY GOD. His nonfiction pop culture essays make me cry they are so clever. When I heard he was going to give fiction a try, I was dubious. However, in Downtown Owl, he does several things awesome (A) this book is from multiple character’s perspectives (B) he used High-Fidelity-esque lists and charts and (C) He gives a great depicition of a small midwestern town in the 1980s. However, the ending was a bit unexpected and perhaps a bit too extreme for the previous tone of the book. But the way he uses “translations” of what characters really mean what they are saying and their different backstories is really brilliant. Oh Chuck, why can’t I have your career?

16 thoughts on “What I’m reading

1. nikki says:

I’m with you on the mixed feelings about Oscar Wao. I had a really strong affection for both Oscar and Lola. But I just didn’t love the writing style, nor did I even like any other character. And though I generally hate footnotes, I did think the footnotes in this book were amusing.

2. Bierrie says:

I recommend Slash (by well, Slash), Reckless Road, Gia, and The Heroin Diaries if you are obsessed with 80’s metal…obviously I am. Gia isn’t 80’s metal per say, but fits with the era and goes into Bowie/Studio 54.

Ruh roh. We have to have a smack down for Nikki Sixx. But I am talking late 80s early 90s Nikki. Have you seen him lately? I saw him on Miami Ink when he was visiting Kat (ugh lucky) and he has just…not aged well.

I LUV Fargo Rock City, I didn’t find Chuck that sexist. He’s no feminist, but he’s a pretty awesome guy. My friend knows his fiance who is also pretty cool.

4. maybeimamazed02 says:

High Fidelity-esque lists and charts???? Sign me up!

As not only a huge Nick Hornby fan but also a former law student, I outline and list EVERYTHING.

Must read Chuck Klostermann.

My latest big-girl read is “Singled Out,” a nonfiction study of how single people are perceived in society. Liking it so far.

My ex’s brother was tattooed on L.A. Ink, btw.

5. Elizabeth says:

Age-appropriate is overrated.

Rio, I’m mostly reading political non-fiction these days, too. Most recent: Sexuality and Socialism by Sherry Wolf. So good!

6. malika says:

Read Oscar Wao a couple of monrhs ago. While i found the Oscar very intriguing and the plotline haunting, i’m with you on the multiple points of view. I didn’t really care about the sister’s ex-boyfriend or come to think of it even the sister herself and it took up a lot of the book. Havind said that Oscar’s ending was sad but very beautiful. Mixed feelings, yet erring on the positive, maybe his next book will be better?

Downtown Owl sounds interesting. I’ll give it a try once I’ve worked my way through some more of the towering pile of to-read books that has accumulated next to my bed!

8. Natalie says:

Oh my. I hated The End of Mister Y so so much. I wanted my time back. I mean “culture is the space between atoms?” What is that crap?

I also thought Adam was a moron, and as a former religion major I was offended by how ignorant he seemed about the world. People studying to be priests aren’t complete dumbasses, there are advanced degrees involved. Gah.

I love The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, though, but rather in spite of Oscar’s character. I am big Lola fan though.

9. Kat says:

I was fairly blah on Oscar Wao too. I found Oscar so frustrating. I liked Lola. I thought the mom’s backstory was kindof interesting. But I agree about the Pulitzer label being like a Grammy — sometimes it means something, sometimes it just doesn’t. 🙂

10. Sara Millionaire says:

The Dirt is a trashy favorite of mine. When carrying it, I’ve been stopped more than once by people on the street shouting about how much they loved it. Definitely the best heavy metal biography there is.

I also love Chuck Klosterman and Fargo Rock City (as a diehead ’80s metal fan, it’s one of those books that I read while saying to myself, “Why couldn’t I have written this?!”). Haven’t read Paper Owl yet because some of his more recent stuff has rubbed me the wrong way, but I’ll check it out now on your recommendation.

11. Sadako says:

I read the other Chuck Closterman book…Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs. It was pretty good, a little pretentious/hipsterish, but funny overall. Maybe I’ll check out this one.