Eyes & Ears

I’m off to New York for a couple of weeks and although I will do my best to post some stuff, it’s no guarantee. I mean, I am going to be super busy in New York. Once I am there I am going to meet a guy who is going to turn out to be a famous German rock star, and I’ll be so mad that I’ll break up with him and then run right into the arms of a guy who is really a werewolf who lives in the sewers. On top of that, someone who looks exactly like me will be trying to murder me. And on top of that, I’ll be discovered on the subway and asked to be in a Broadway show, and of course I’ll have an affair with the director who is really just the German rock star in disguise trying to win me back. Together we will scout out all the homeless people in New York and encourage them to get jobs by patting them on the shoulder.

But I digress. I have brought some Caitlin books with me on the plane because I totally forgot about that series, although I’ll have to hide them inside an issue of The New Yorker or something. So hopefully I’ll be able to post something. If not, please hang in there! I’ll be back.

Speaking of, it’s upsetting to me that a lot of other YA blogs have fallen off the radar. I know keeping up with blogging is hard, which probably means other these bloggers have more of a life than me. What happened to the Lurlene McDaniel death book recaps? Also, I miss Tales of a Former Walking Highlighter and I was excited about Jesus Beezus.  If you are reading this, come back! Then again, if you have something going on in your life that involves real live humans to talk to, go with that. Another recap blog that I hope continues is Tanner Twister, which is hilarious in its hatred of Michelle Tanner. I hope it keeps up.

Also, starting January 4, I’ll be recapping The Bachelor for film.com. Be on the lookout. You can read my recaps of The Hills here.

Finally, you may want to check out Snark by David Denby. Looks awesome.

25 thoughts on “Eyes & Ears

1. nikki says:

Have a great time in NY! Sounds like you have your trip all…uh…planned out.

I agree with you on the dormant blogs…the Lurlene McDaniels, Jesus Beezus and Tales of a Former Walking Highlighter are great, and I’m sad not to have read more recent updates!

2. Abby says:

Yeah, I am bummed about those posters dropping off as well- especially SnappleAddict. Her Girl Talk recaps were hilarious. But I’m just all the more grateful to you Wheat for keeping this blog up. Have a great time in NY!

3. Rio says:

Have a good trip! Maybe if you decide at the last minute to bring a younger sibling or niece, the New York branch of the Babysitters Club can give you some help, if she hasn’t moved back to Stoneybrook by then.

Jessi is black, by the way.

4. sunstreakedblonde says:

Have fun in NY!

I know what you mean about the dead YA blogs… I miss them. I’m planning on starting one myself, since I’ve been hitting up library book sales trying to rebuild my 80s/90s YA collection (I think my Mom gave all my old books away while I was at college D:). /self promotion

(It’s Cat BTW… I finally stopped being lazy long enough to get a wordpress account)

I hope you have a more exciting, but less murderous, time than the twins would in NY!

Also, I would like to second Jen S and thank you for keeping up with the blog all year – these entries are always a welcome and hilarious diversion!

6. Anne says:

Have a great time in NYC… did you talk to Mary Anne about what to do while you’re there? I’m sure she has a whole list of things you can check out!!

Also, don’t go out to a boring play with your hosts’ daughter’s boyfriend… he just wants to get in your panties. At least that’s what happened to Jessica.

7. Vanessa Saxton says:

Oh yeah, one more thing- can you say hello to Suzanne Devlin for all of us? Don’t share a beverage with her though, we don’t want you to catch MS or mono…

8. bookslide says:

Ooh, I loved the Pratt Twins! All I’ve been snarking are the Vampire Diaries, and I’m way behind on it because every time I go to write something, my friend asks me to drive all over New Jersey and Pennsylvania for her, and she lets me do my laundry at her house, so I feel obligated–but, like, in a good way.

Looking forward to more Caitlin! ❤

9. Nancy says:

Wait, what?! Jessi is black??

Although I miss the old blogs, there’s always awesome ones. I can’t get enough of 30 is the new 13 or what claudia wore.

But yeah, the Lurlene recaps were awesome, what’s frustrating is the lack of goodbye, ya know? You get attached and then they just disappear… That’s why I appreciated the BSC Headquarters actually saying there wasn’t going to be anymore.

ihatewheat, if you decided to stop doing this, please let us know!!!!

10. BartTempleton says:

You’re released on good behavior only long enough to read all the rest of the Caitlin books and any SVH where Liz and Todd have drama, there’s a makeover, or someone is kidnapped.

We be waitin’ for you back here.

Happy new Year.

11. Donna says:

Enjoy your break IHW and happy new year to all the other dairi burgers.

If I may sneak in a couple of recap requests…

Just finished reading Brokenhearted where Elizabeth must decide between Jeffrey and Todd. My God. I don’t think there has been a more angst-ridden teenage relationship in all of literary history.

And for a healthy dose of realism, Soap Star, where Jessica and Elizabeth wow Hollywood with their mind blowing acting abilities and Jessica gets involved with an actor which makes front page news.

Look forward to a very snarky 2009!

12. Emmy says:

Donna, I have no idea if IHW has already done Brokenhearted (I don’t think this blog has a search feature) but that would be hilarious.

Soap Star is an awesome suggestion. I was obsessed with Jessica’s dress on the cover.

13. Rio says:

Emmy, click on “The Full List” and there will be a guide to all the SVH recaps she’s done. Brokenhearted hasn’t come yet, but we’re all waiting with breath that is bated.

14. Taren says:

I miss those blogs, too. I just wrote a V.C. Andrews entry on my blog, but before that I was showing a friend of mine the VCA recaps on Tales of a Former Walking Highlighter. The Lurlene recap blog was great, too -and I discovered it long after she quit apparently.

Have a great time in New York! If you do pick up a copy of The New Yorker, be sure to let me know if anything Malcolm Gladwell wrote is in it. I love him.

15. Genevieve says:

The writer of the Lurlene McDaniel blog is hard at work on the rewrites of her own novel but I’ll see what I can do about getting it back in the interim, even if I have to take it over personally.

16. ames says:

I definitely need to get back to my Lurlene blog!! Genevieve is right that most of my free time has gone to my actual book (which is disease-free) but I too miss the blogging so I’ll make it a resolution!!

17. Hurf Durf Hurfdurf says:

Unfortunately a lot of us killed off our blogs because NOBODY read them, haha

Maybe 2/3 people every couple of months would ever comment or make a mention of us, it just got easier to read everyone else’s blogs