So dull it doesn’t even get a title.

[Photo from The Closet]

So Kristin Thompson is training to be a pro-tennis player and feels all this pressure because her father- oh you know what, I can’t even. It’s just so stupid and useless and this character is never heard from again. Did Francine get some pressure because tennis players were underrepresented in the series?

I’m not even going to mention the fact that Elizabeth is arranging a Big Sister mentorship program (fucking of course) and forces Kristin to mentor a young girl who loves tennis, and when the girl makes Kristin realize she is a winner no matteer what, Kristin thanks LIZ profusely for helping her change her life. Barf gag barf.

19 thoughts on “So dull it doesn’t even get a title.

1. Rio says:

So . . . what happened? Did Liz, Bruce, and Liz’s little helper make Kristin decide to quit tennis? Did she and Bruce stay together? (Stupid question. Of course they didn’t. It’s Bruce.) Is this ALL the snark we’re getting? I am greatly unfulfilled.

2. Vanessa Saxton says:

This one seems pretty awful. Kind of like #69 Friend Against Friend and #80 The Girl They Both Loved. #53 is right up there with ones to avoid.
    I just have one question for Jimmy- what’s up with all of the short haircuts? I grew up in the 80’s and I don’t remember everyone having the short hair. But in Sweet Valley we have Kristin, Annie, Betsy, Dee Dee, the list goes on and on. Don’t get me started on the combover and feathered bangs. Did everyone have bad hair?

{big sigh]. Well Bruce asks her out and it makes her think she wants a normal life not playing tennis 24/7 but then she realizes Bruce is an idiot and to not give up her dream. Meanwhile she realizes that her dad will still love her even if she doesn’t make the pros, which she does anyway. Happy?

πŸ™‚

Vanessa Saxton, I also am puzzled by all of the short hair. Though I guess she’s got a kind of Princess Diana look going on.

BUT, Jimmy gets points because he made Kristin’s eyes the exact same shade as the background behind her, and we all know that it’s crucial for Sweet Valley residents’ eyes to match their surroundings.

I really was never a fan of the books that revolve around one-off characters. I could never work out why I should care about them!

5. Diana says:

Tennis players were so not unrepresented in SVH. Didn’t Bruce Patman play tennis? And wasn’t there some poor guy who played against him in one of the books? Or am I just making that up?

I’m not a fan of Kristin’s mom haircut, but she has really pretty eyes.

6. girltalkread says:

I thought Tom McKay played tennis as well.
    This book seems crappy but I haven’t read it-but I did just update my blog and I wrote about good ol’ Lynne Henry from ” Alone in the Crowd”- now THAT’S a sob story!

7. BartTempleton says:

No, seriously, Kristin WTF? (which stands for Who TF?)

I actually kind of like this haircut, but Jimmy made her eyes look freaky.

8. Jener says:

I agree with Kristin! What the hell is with that? Is she really THAT dull that they can’t even find her a name of her own?

And now I’m imagining them meeting, bonding over their similiar names, and then bitching about their fathers. Then they’d swap in a Parent Trap-like manner (even though they look nothing alike), but then Kristy would realise she misses her old life, but of course, Kristin would refuse to swap back, and then Kristy would be forced to try and kill her and take back her old life…

9. Another Kristin says:

I was just excited she spelled her name the same way I do. It used to be way less common as I recall (I think Kristen was more popular?) I could never find anything with my name on it.

10. calico drive says:

yep Tom McKay played tennis and Bruce and Pamela (bruce’s gf in the early 100’s.) and jess played tennis with bruce in #3 and lost on purpose coz he told her too…somebody stop me………….

11. tygre says:

And Neil! Uh…the one who hooked up with Penny Ayalya. He played tennis. And Kelly, the twin’s cousin in #45….

I need to go polish off the rest of the wine from yesterday, I think.

The haircut’s OK but lacks sufficient height to make it plausible as a mod 80s ‘do. (Didn’t we have an extended convo re: 80s hair while discussing Dana Larsen?)

And woudja lookit the size of Kristen’s mouth! It makes Bozo the Clown’s lips look merely bee- stung by comparison.

BTW, I am amazed at the near-perfect recall some of y’all have re: the SVH dating scene. πŸ™‚

13. sweater vest says:

Kristin Thompson is a sporty girl who is all about winning and has father issues? Say, is she related to the BSC’s very own Kristy Thomas? πŸ˜‰

14. Kris says:

Woah, a dead memory from my childhood suddenly came alive the second I saw that cover. I was in a book club in the 80s… Especially For Girls or something like that. This book was in the second bundle of books I received after joining and I was totally convinced they sent it to me personally because my name is Kristin, too, and I’d never seen another Kristin that spelled it my way [I feel your pain, Another Kristin and Krystin :D]. My excitement faded when as got about three pages into it and just had to let it go πŸ˜€

15. Sonnie says:

Where does Liz get all the time in the world to “help” people, while keep up with hanging out with her boyf? Oh, right. I forgot. They never fuck.