what I am reading

I’m no longer updating my personal blog due to time, but something I did on there was talk a lot about what I’m reading. I’m going to do that here because something tells me you all enjoy this thing called reading. Here are the “adult” books I’ve read lately.

Rapture Ready takes a look at the billion dollar industry of Christian pop culture. Interesting for both the religious aspect and the consumer aspect. The author is a cynical Jew, so on the outset he already has some incredulousity about it.

I tend to enjoy the more bleak, complicated characters than simple happy endings. Chase is a troubled guy who gets roped into working with his childhood friends as they work as call-girls in Vegas. Although the main character felt detached and not sure if that was the point or it was a literary fault. Good narrative, not much plot progression. He was totally going for a Bret Easton Ellis vibe but definitely fell short.

Loved loved Prep, so was excited to read this one. Although I feel like it was marketed as chick lit, but it’s not really. Hanna is a character similar to Lee, who has a very realistic portrayal of depression and not relating to people, and although that is more realistic (uh, for me) at some point her self-absorption and poor-me attitude got kind of old. Of course, her happy ending was tied into finding a man.

I am a vegan (uh, most of the time) and love reading animal rights theories, and this ties it into gender issues and the exploitationj of women;s sexuality. More of an academic read, but interesting theories. It’s from the early eighties so I wish the author would do a follow up based on more modern times.

Currently reading: The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, American Wife, Downtown Owl, and When We Came to the End.

20 thoughts on “what I am reading

1. Jessi says:

As a fellow vegetarian (but not vegan; I’m not that hardcore), I’m interested in reading The Sexual Politics of Meat, and as a fan of A.J. Jacobs I’m really interested in reading Rapture Ready! I just finished The Year of Living Biblically, which was great, and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which I didn’t like so much. I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on American Wife; I wasn’t a fan of Prep, but AW is getting a lot of good reviews and I’m seriously considering picking up a copy.

2. maybeimamazed02 says:

Jessi–I loved American Wife. I thought it was way better than The Man of My Dreams (though not quite to the level of Prep). Definitely check it out.

3. Vanessa Saxton says:

I, too, LOVED Prep but was very disappointed to read The Man of My Dreams that I didn’t even finish it. 😦
    You should check out The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I guess I liked it more because it was a semi true account of a guy who grew up in the 90’s in Pittsburgh (went to a rival high school that I went to). So I could relate.
    By the way, ihatewheat, you make my day!

4. Sue says:

I absolutely loved “Then We Came to the End” and hope you do too! I wasn’t a huge fan of “Prep” – Lee got to me after a while, and the whole book started to feel way too dreary, and it felt like a good YA book rather than a book about teens for adults, in my opinion. And Vanessa, I loved “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”!

I just finished reading “The Road,” which was excellent, but hard to read at times – an incredibly depressing book – but I still recommend it highly.

5. "Kitten" Whitman says:

I’ve been waiting for a thread like this! I’m always up for a good adult book. I recommend The Dive From Clausen’s Pier–love, love, love Ann Packer’s prose style.

6. BartTempleton says:

I too would be interested in what the Carol Adams book would have to say about 21st century phenomena like PETA’s “woman’s body=sex object to use and abuse at will” advertisements (I’m refererring to all their shock-value woman ads, but to tie it into the subject at hand, the “no meat” ones specifically).

7. Amanda says:

Vanessa – I never knew Perks was about the ‘burgh. What is this suburb they speak of and what school?

I’m going ot have to read this now..

I read Perks of Being a Wallflower, and wasn’t all that wowed by it. I thought the “my aunt sexually abused me and I suppressed the memory” ending was very daytime tv.

I also was not too impressed with The Road. I thought it was pretentious writing and kind of a ripoff of Jose Saramango’s “Blindness”.

I am reading “Oscar Wau” right now for my book club, and again, not sure what the hype is about. It’s good, but I’ve read better. It always surprised me what books become popular.

9. Jo says:

I didn’t know you were vegan. Cool. I’m a vegetarian who would be vegan if there were any restaurants at all in this town that were vegan-friendly (or for that matter, if there were more than one store where I can buy good soy products).

10. Becci says:

Jo–I’m vegan and allergic to soy. It really doesn’t need to be a big part of your diet–nor should it be, necessarily. You can do it!

11. BartTempleton says:

Becci, I on’y had a chance to skim the site today, but it seems that the creators are only up in arms about the use of anthropomorhpism and assorted bells and whistles in ads to portray meat consumption as appealing–and they should most assuredly be concerned about this; it’s disgusting.

But I saw no commentary about the misogyny–towards human women–on which many of these images rely. In the three different entries I read, all of the digust was reserved for the fact that pigs were being visually “tarted up” to entice human consumption of them. Where is the parallel commentary about women being protrayed as pieces of meat, and meat-peddlers exploiting hypersexualized tableaux of women’s bodies?

12. Vanessa Saxton says:

Perks was a semi autobiographical tale. The suburb in reference was Upper St. Clair and Chbosky attended Upper St. Clair High School. Found all of this out when I attended the PCTELA conference last year (Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of English and Language Arts) he was the keynote speaker.

13. Fraser says:

For all the breathless awe The Road generated, The Postman was a better post-holocaust novel and “A Boy And His Dog” was a lot darker. I was way unimpressed.

14. nichole says:

I couldn’t finish Prep – I wanted to claw my eyes out. The reviews on American Wife are good and that’s currently sitting in my amazon cart waiting for purchase.

I’ve been packing to move, so my reading time has been cut short as of late. I am 3/4 of the way through The Six Wives of Henry the VIII and prior to that I read Born to Rule about 5 of Queen Victoria’s granddaughters who went on to become Queen in their own right (Alexandra – Russia; Ena – Spain; Maud – Norway; Sophie – of Greece; and Marie – Romania). I was a history major in college and still love a historical text every now and again. Also on my to read list: A bunch of Agatha Christie books (I’ve also been on a murder-mystery kick), A Thousand Splendid Suns, and The Gulag Archipelago (Solzhenitsyn died recently and that fueled my desire to plow through the three volumes).

15. Fraser says:

I just finished a couple of books by Thorne Smith (the guy who wrote Topper). Now I’m reading Scott Westerfield’s young-adult Extras. Westerfield’s great.
    I will be reading something in the “Privates” series before vacation ends, since it’s a favorite of my niece.

16. 1979semifinalist says:

I’m sorry The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao isn’t working for you yet, I read it last December and just LOVED it. I hope it picks up for you.

I wish I was in your book group…a group that picks Wao? That’s my kind of group!

Anxious to hear what you think of Then We Came To The End as I’ve been contemplating picking that one up for awhile…