Veronica: misunderstood?

Veronica is a show-off because she’s obviously insecure and she thinks that showing off will win her friends. I kind of feel bad for her because she’s clearly a smart, creative kid. She constantly tries to befriend the popular girl, the bitching blond laughing at her. The weird girl in school, Hilary, tries to befriend Veronica but Veronica’s not having that because Hilary is small, wears her hair in a bun, wears lacy ankle socks, and carries a floral shopping back as a book bag. Oh, the horror! She realizes that Hilary reads the same books as she does, and she has a pretty cool family, so she gives in and is friends with her.

She hangs out at the library a lot (see? she is awesome!) and a book she wants has been out for a while, so she tracks down who has it and sends her hate mail. So, Veronica’s a little quirky, she doesn’t know correct social skills. However, the girl finds her and they end up being friends too. The moral? Just be yourself! Awwwwww.

I remember more in the series, where Veronica removes the side of her apartment to put in a baby grand piano. And the another one where she goes to California to visit her father and new stepmother. I’m off to track them down…

19 thoughts on “Veronica: misunderstood?

1. Natalie says:

Oh! I think I actually read this!

The girl turns out to be sick, right? And there’s a part about using milk as invisible ink?

2. Abby says:

Yeah, somehow Veronica finds out that the girl who has the book has been sick and sends her a get well card, and included a little note in it saying that returning the book Veronica has been waiting for in a timely fashion would be the appropriate thing to do. The girl takes offense, and I think holds onto the book as long as she possibly can and when she does return it, stuck a mean little note in the book calling Veronica lame.

Veronica responds by marking up a sign the girl posted offering her services as a dog walker. This girl was evidently a terrible speller and didn’t have a parent proofread it before she put it up. Veronica corrects the spelling and GRADES the sign, putting up a giant D on top of it. Then she borrows a dog and hires Melody to walk it, and brings along a 4 page typed application that she makes Melody fill out before she will give her the job. I remember some of the questions included were along the lines of, are your parents still married, and how many friends do you have? Oh, Veronica.

There were two other books for sure, Veronica Meets her Match and Veronica Knows Best, and I’m thinking there was one other one too.

3. Ashleigh says:

Haha – I never read this book – but I vividly remember using the title to make fun of my friend, Veronica.

Whenever I was mad at her, I would grab the book and place it on her desk when she wasn’t looking.

Totally passive agressive.

But, she was a show-off.

4. Melissa says:

I loved Veronica! As one of the, shall we say, “quirky” kids, I totally related to her. I had no idea her character had a series, though. I want to read the rest of the books now. 🙂

5. nikki says:

There was also one told from her neighbor’s point of view (I think his name was Chris??). The book was called Just Plain Cat. I think it may have skewed a little younger than the Veronica books.

Also, Veronica and Sheila Tubman = the same person??? You be the judge.

6. Abby says:

Nah, Veronica was way cooler than Sheila Tubman. Sheila was a shrill whiny little kiss ass while Veronica was really funny and once made a New Years Resolution to only tell one lie a week, but had to abandon the resolution after “borrowing” lies from future weeks enough times meant she couldn’t tell a lie for another year.

7. kristin says:

Veronica sounds like the kind of kid I’d be if my current self could go back and be a kid… I saw nothign wrong with any of her actions.

I need to read this book!

8. nancy says:

she marks the girl’s poster with a D? she sounds like a legend.

why are all bitches in books called veronica or nancy? do they really sound that bitchy?

actually i can only think of veronica di angelo from the saddle blue and nancy wheeler from are you there god.. huh. are there any more or did i just make a totally erroneous comment?!

9. maybeimamazed02 says:

Veronica from the Archie comics.

Also, Veronica Mars–because like this Veronica, she was smart and quirky but misunderstood.

10. The Black Sheep says:

I dont know whether anyone has heard of this, but in ‘Poor Kate’, which was in a Bunty Girls Annual, the bitchy girl was called ‘Veronica’. Lol!

Haha, I love the Angela books, but I never read these ones. I suppose I have to now!

11. kiwimusume says:

@ Ashleigh: *dies* That’s awesome. XD

@ The Black Sheep: One of the two snobby girls in The Four Marys was called Veronica too. Though the Marys irritated me more than Mabel and Veronica ever did because they were such goody-goodies. Imagine Elizabeth Wakefield x4 minus sunstreaked blonde hair and eyes the colour of the Pacific Ocean (though one has yellow-blonde hair and I think regular-blue eyes.)

And I agree that grading the poster was awesome. I very nearly did that to my boss at my previous job one time when she was pissing me off. She’d left a Word document open for a sign she was making, saying “GREAT BOOKS, UNBELEIVABLE PRICES”. I was SO TEMPTED to type “I before E, except after C” underneath it, but chickened out and just corrected the spelling instead.

12. Abby says:

Veronica Brooks from Sweet Valley Twins- she stole a bunch of shit and framed Jessica for it. I think Veronica is a “mean girl” kind of name.

Veronica the Showoff really wasn’t bitchy though…just kind of socially inept. Maybe a little too blunt and overbearing, but she never tried to be mean.

13. The Black Sheep says:

Haha, Kiwimusume! How embarrassing to only have yellowish hair and normal blue eyes instead of ‘sun streaked, spun gold locks and eyes that mirrored the Pacific Ocean.’ I’d just hide in my closet all day long!

In ‘The Boyfriend Club’ by Janet Quin Harken (I think!!) or something, one of the girls was called “Roni” short for ‘Veronica’, but she wasn’t bitchy either more of the really loud, brash bossy type. Veronica must be the ‘speak your mind’ type of name.

14. liz says:

I couldn’t remember the Veronica books until you mentioned the the baby grand piano!

I remember she thought it was small, which is why she ordered/rented/commandeered one. Haha. I was actually thinking about it not too long ago when I was helping my bf move house and we realised that his couch was bigger than the doorway.

anyhooz, back to V’s showy personality, I associated her with Sheila (was that her name?) from those Judy Blume Frudge and Superfude books. I loved her!!!

15. allisontaylor011 says:

I REMEBER THIS! One part, for no unexplicable reason, where Veronica tells the pretty blonde popular girl who is featured on the cover (who I always thought was so pretty because at the time I really wanted to be blonde and not cursed with the dark curly hair that I had inherited from my Jewess mother) that she has the same blue snowflake sweater and then the girl is all, “No bitch that’s impossible because it is an orginal that my grandmother handknit for me” BURN!

16. Lynn says:

And here’s another one I vaguely remember. I may have read/flipped through this when I was a preteen and I almost want to read it again. Or at least read a summary to see how accurate my memories are.