Nancy Olsen = Jessica Wakefield

I’m glad there is some Little House love on here!

Firstly, thanks nfor pointing out that Dean Butler HAS A BLOG! And talks a ton about Almazo Wilder and LHOTP. Which is cool, but Dean, your role ended about 25 years ago. Let go.

Oh, and also? The real Almanzo Wilder? Quite the hottay.

The Reincarnation of Nellie was sooooo SVH. This is after big bad Nellie moves to New York with her Jewish husband and babies, and Mrs. Olsen gets all freaked out, so Nels suggest they adopt. Well, of course, she loves the bratty blond girl, Nancy.

Everyone in the town is all peeved because Nancy is just as bad as Nellie was, even worse, and they were all just partying in the town square after getting rid of her (actually, Nellie turned to a saint after one episode of meeting Percival). Nancy wears frilly dresses, bows about five times larger than her head, and ringlet curls that I was soooooo jealous of when I was younger. It’s so obvious that it’s a wig. Nancy is a total shrew, and manipulates everyone around her. There’s some pageant at school and she wants to take out her competition so she locks her in the icehouse. See? Total Jessica Wakefield. Then she manipulates her mother and tells everyone that her mother abanonded her. I also feel bad for Willie, who Nancy manipulates and turns their mother against him. I always felt Willie was quite misunderstood.

Serendipidously, Charles finds out from the orphanage owner that Nancy wasn’t really abandoned, and can’t wait to run off to tell the news. In fact, I think he actually leaves the mill to do so. He’s such a busybody! THEN, this is awesome…Laura, ahem, I mean, Mrs. Wilder, convinces the whole fucking town to play a prank on Nancy. Excuse me, isn’t she supposed to be the teacher? And care about the children? So they do a carnival and make Nancy the star of the “mermaid booth” which is really a dunking booth. And then the whole town laughs at her. Bwahahahaha!

54 thoughts on “Nancy Olsen = Jessica Wakefield

1. Jen S says:

Willie (after meeting Nancy): We finally got Nellie married off, and you bring home another one!

BEST. LHOTP. LINE. EVER.

I will say that the actress playing Nancy had fun with the role, and she and Mrs. Olson had great chemistry together. I too was jealous of those blonde ringlets of perfection.

Seriously, because on the show EJ was portrayed as a sad sack of shit that couldn’t get a man. In fact, didn’t she pretend she was running off to get married so Manly and Beth could have the house?

3. Dwanollah says:

“I’ve never been happier in my life. Really I haven’t.” Yeah, not a fan of the wishy-washy prim limp-wristed Eliza Jane on the show.

The real EJ was an amazing woman… stubborn and bossy, yeah, but still. She was one of the first female homesteaders in that part of the country, tending her own farm after a full day of teaching school. She worked in D.C. for a while, was a staunch socialist, very politically active, and a huge influence on Rose (who, in turn, influenced Laura tremendously). EJ ended up losing hers and most of her family’s money through a bad investment, though; her father died nearly broke not too long after. Whoops.

But here’s Eliza Jane in all her glory:

4. nichole says:

I love LHOTP. The Reincarnation of Nellie was on this weekend. Willie had some great lines in that episode. In one episode Nellie went from being a brat to being a rational adult and Willie started acting responsible all of a sudden. Kind of like one of the SVH makeover stories.

5. Stacey says:

I just got through recently explaining to my young son that there are three “Laura”s. One is the Laura portrayed in the tv show, the second is the Laura from the books, and the 3rd is the actual Laura who wrote the books. The 2nd and 3rd are the most similar, of course, but the books are definitely not completely autobiographical.

It always saddened me that of the four girls only one went on to have a child (Rose) and then she never had children…

Keep up the Little House stuff because my obsession with all THREE Lauras is comparable only to my SV obsession.

6. LongWinter says:

I’m a total Nancy fan. Nancy was the only interesting kid out of all the later-years kids (old Carrie/James and Cassandra Cooper, I’m looking at you). Plus Nels was my total favourite person on that show ever. The silent aggression when Harriet/Nellie/Willie/eventually Nancy would do shit that embarrassed/baffled/annoyed him. Like slamming stuff around in the mercantile, causing Nancy to tailspin into a chorus of “He haaaaaaates me!” wails. That’s my fave!

7. Stacey says:

You should do something on the episode where Pa takes James to the mountain to commune with God.
    In my opinion, THAT is where Little House jumped the shark!
    Sad thing is, I think they had enough potential material to go for many more years if they would have stuck with some more of the book type stuff.

8. BadKat says:

I went to Wall, SD once as a child and found a book in a gift shop that was about the Ingalls/Wilder families. I was VERY upset that no one looked anything like Melissa Gilbert or Michael Landon…

“(actually, Nellie turned to a saint after one episode of meeting Percival).”

Yah, she did! Wasn’t that the episode in which Percival tells Nellie off and then squashes an egg over her head because she’s being a PITA? But Nellie’s all cum-in-her-panties anyway and happily exclaims “He called me pretty!” while egg drips off her hair.

“EEEEEELLLLMMMMMEEEEEEERRRRRR!”

ROTLMFAO, ihatewheat! 🙂

And word re: the real Almanzo and Eliza Jane’s cuteness.

Er, I meant ROTFLMFAO (sticky keyboard!)

And props to Dwanollah for posting all that info on the real Eliza Jane. 🙂

11. Jan says:

Real Almonzo- HOT

And the icebox thing- for some reason it reminds me of that bad Shannen Doherty movie where that girl Zan is basically trying to ruin Shannen’s life b/c she beat this Zan in a beauty pageant years ago? Does anyone recall this film? VERY SVH- sort of like “Evil Margo”

12. Dwanollah says:

YES, Jan! It was called… oh, damn… “Friends ’til the End”! And it’s FRICKIN’ AWESOME! And no, it’s not out on DVD or anything, because believe you me, I’ve looked!

Real Almanzo (which, btw, is pronounced Al-MAN-zo, not Al-MAHN-zo!) was totally hot pre-moustache. But remember, he was also only about 5’4. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…. 😉

13. Heidi says:

I loved Nellie and Nancy!

Nellie (who really acted more like Nancy and also had ringlets more like Nancy’s) in the Little House on the Prairie musical at the Guthrie theatre here in Minneapolis rocked.

Every time her character came on stage, people erupted with laughter and practically cheered. She had one cute song all to herself where she sang about life not being just not being right without an “enemy”. It was hilarious. I almost wished she had been in EVERY scene because the Ingalls’ were kind of dull.v

Eliza Jane in the musical was also made to look like a spinster. Do you remember the episode where Eliza thought some guy was going to propose to her, but the truth was he was engaged to somebody else but she told Manly they were getting married, anyway, then moved away. They left the story at that, (I think) becauswe I never saw EJ again, which didn’t make any sense because wouldn’t Almonzo and Laura find out somehow?

Also, in the musical Almonzo was pursuing Laura, instead of the other way around like in the TV show. Not sure how it really was in real life, as I didn’t read the books. I tried to read the first one and it was so boring, I couldn’t read anymore.

Dwanollah, I love you for your resources. 🙂

“Not sure how it really was in real life, as I didn’t read the books. I tried to read the first one and it was so boring, I couldn’t read anymore.”

Heh, Heidi. You’ve done us the favor of reviewing the play so we won’t judge you too harshly, m’dear. 🙂

Even I (uber-LHOTP freak) will give you a pass on “Little House in the Big Woods”. It was kind of a snoozer since 2nd Laura is about 5 at the time. Christmas Day and a Sugaring-off Dance were the most memorable events. Oh, and the girls watch Pa make bullets by melting and cooling lead in a bullet mold. I also learned how to churn butter, make headcheese, and craft a smokehouse out of a hollow log stood on end so it wasn’t a total loss. 😉

The juicier SV-type stuff starts happening later in the series (i.e. after “By The Shores of Silver Creek”) when the real LIW outlines her first few meetings & budding relationship with RealManly in “By The Shores of Silver Lake”, “Little Town on the Prairie” and, “These Happy Golden Years”.” (BTW, I’m totes stealing that, Eli — thanks!) Their marriage is portrayed in “The First Four Years”. Refreshingly, they do not at any time feed each other French Fries or cheat on each other. 😉

IIRC, the first time that they meet occurs in “By The Shores of Silver Lake” while 2nd Laura (i.e. of the books as per Stacey’s cosing system — love it BTW!) is helping Pa harvest hay near their homestead outside of DeSmet, SD. RealManly and his eldest bro Royal pass by. They’d been working in an adjacent field and happened to know Pa so they said ‘hi’ on their way home. RealManly is sprawled on the top of the hayrick. He is described as tan and chewing a long piece of straw. HAWT.

And later, in LTOTP, there’s an incident in which Laura is on an errand to pick up her new-fangled ‘name cards’ from ‘Jake the Postmaster” but is going to be late for school. Suddenly, RealManly drives by with his beautiful, famed Morgan horses (Prince & Lady) and offers 2nd Laura a ride.

En route, 2nd Laura is all flustered. Trying to make small talk (Liz Henry in a sunbonnet?), she shows him her ‘name cards’ which are light pink with a spray of cornflowers. It’s the latest fad — the texting of the 1860s. RealManly aks if he can keep her card [swoon] and then gives her his card (plain white w/ black letters). Did I forget to mention that RealManly is a town hero b/c he went to find wheat when everyone was starving during “The Long Winter”? Well, he is so its a Huge Deal that 2nd Laura is riding with him. And of course Ida (her best friend) says that BookNelly was super-jealous when they styled up to the door of the one-room schoolhouse.

Most of 2nd Laura and RealManly’s courtship, engagement, and wedding take place in “These Happy Golden Years”, when 2nd Laura takes a job teaching at a school (like, 5 kids) and must board with the Brewsters in their unheated shanty all week.

Of course 2nd Laura is homesick and figures out there’s some weird DV sitch happening with the Brewsters. Like, the Mr. & Mrs. argue all the time and one night Mrs. B. threatens her husband with a butcher knife! And they have a squalling, runny-nosed toddler.

But it’s all good because RealManly swoops in every Friday after school to transport 2nd Laura home to her loving family. The man does this EVEN DURING BLIZZARDS. Now *that* is true love IMO! 🙂

Later, Laura gets a teaching position closer to home and she and RealManly do things like attend Singing School and go buggy-riding out on the prairie. BookNelly butts in by getting RealManly to include her on their Sunday rides.

While driving, BookNelly is being such a vacuous chatterbox that 2nd Laura subtly spooks the horses. BookNelly freaks out and starts clutching at RealManly’s arm. Because she’s afraid of horses, RealManly dumps her ass, golden-ringlets and all.

And now you don’t have to read two of the books, Heidi! Of course I can go on…and on… 😉

15. Dwanollah says:

There are lots of fun RL stories once you start researching, too! And, Amber Tan, I’m getting a PhD with a specialization in gender/chillun’s lit, and LIW is one of my main areas of emphasis, so I’ve actually read some of Laura’s earliest mss, before Rose edited them, and WOW is there a difference! Like the time Laura held a knife to Cousin Charley’s throat in BTSOSL because he wouldn’t stop kissing and touching her….

And if anyone’s interested, read “Becoming LIW” and “Ghost in the Little House” for some fascinating behind-the-scenes stuff (although GITLH is a little too psychoanalytic, and, as the first book to really point out, “Hey, Rose really co-authored the LH books!”, the author had a clear agenda.

16. identicalgoldlavalieres says:

Oh wow, i would love to read those. I cannot even count the number of times I have read the entire series. I still have the same yellow ones I received as a little tiny girl, they came in a box set thing. I even loved Little House in the Big Woods. Love the books, hate to love the tv show.

I will def. check those out.

And while we are on the subject…

Charles Ingalls=Elizabeth Wakefield=Brandon Walsh.

17. identicalgoldlavalieres says:

Oh wait, what? I meant to say that i LOVE TO HATE the tv show. Seriously, I hate it, I mock it, I laugh my head off at how horrible it is, yet I cannot. move. away. I proactively search it out on my TiVO and record it. Its like crack cocaine.

“I’m getting a PhD with a specialization in gender/chillun’s lit, and LIW is one of my main areas of emphasis, so I’ve actually read some of Laura’s earliest mss, before Rose edited them…”

That’s way cool about getting your PhD, Dwanollah! And thanks for the tips re: Becoming LIW” and “Ghost in the Little House”. ETA: GITLH Lane is currently available at our campus library. [happy dance] I’ll have to go borrow it during lunch. 🙂

“Laura held a knife to Cousin Charley’s throat in BTSOSL because he wouldn’t stop kissing and touching her….”

Eewww. Good for Laura! Even in LHITBW I got a creepy feeling re: Cousin Charley. Cousin Charley = Bruce Patman?

I must admit to being amused when CC got stung all over by yellowjackets b/c he kept poking the nest with a stick. Who knew he was a perv in addition to being a dumbass?

“i LOVE TO HATE the tv show…. Its like crack cocaine.”

Heh, identicalgoldlavalieres. Cheerleading and gymnastic movies have a similar effect on me. 😉

20. Dwanollah says:

Amber Tan, to make it even MORE ridiculous, my PhD dis is on college girl stories, so along with all these very proper Victorian and Edwardian era books, I’m also writing about… Sweet Valley University.

Oh, I am sooooo intellectual. *eye roll*

“to make it even MORE ridiculous”

Butbutbut…teh CORRELATIONS, the bridge across generations of ‘chick lit’ spanning the 1880s to the 1980s…has anyone else broached th etopic? I personally think it’s f’n brilliant, Dwanollah! 🙂

22. Ellen K. says:

I never cared for the TV series; I was too much a fan of the books. But I agree with AmberTan that Almanzo was a hottie on that haystack.

Rose Wilder Lane did have a child, but it died in infancy.

23. Jane says:

More ways to get drunk while watching LHOTP:
    1- Every time someone mentions “Mankato.” There’s an episode where Pa and Mr. Edwards drive a wagonload of nitroglycerin to Mankato for a crap ton of money. You’ll be blitzed within 5 minutes.

2- Every time Willie gets sent to stand in the corner. It doesn’t happen every episode, but it’s a reliable drink.

3- When a prank is pulled to teach someone a lesson. Such as Nancy in the dunking booth, or when the kids scared Nellie and family away from the lake by creating “the lake monster”

4- References to Carrie going to the outhouse. It happens frequently in the earlier episodes.

24. Becca says:

This was one of my favorite episodes of Little House! In retrospect I suppose it was kind of mean for Laura to get everyone to play a prank on Nancy, but she was just so bratty. Agreed that Mr. Oleson is definitely the best character on the show.

Also, whoever brought up “Friends ’til the End”? THANK YOU for reminding me of that movie! I have also looked for it on dvd. If you haven’t seen it, do whatever you must to watch it. They play it on Lifetime occasionally. It’s hilarious.

25. Eli says:

Ohhh, Amber Tan, I totally forgot about the part where RealManly and Laura exchange their calling cards. My 10 year old self though that was the most romantic thing ever. It is decidedly less romantic in modern times when I swap business cards with a guy in a bar. Maybe it’s cuz he is not driving a team of horses.

26. Heidi says:

Amber Tan, thanks for the book reviews!

The musical must have followed the books for the courtship because everything you described is exactly what happened!

I couldn’t figure out who the “Brewsters” were and why they were in the musical because I had never even heard of them before so now it all makes sense.

The woman playing Mrs. Brewster gave a very chilling performance. She sang about the “Wind” and how miserable it was to live in the middle of nowhere. At the end of her song, she tries to slit her wrist with a big knife. Her performance totally showed up Melissa Gilbert’s “Where Has My Wild Child Gone?” solo, which would have been very good if she would have just let loose and not been so careful. She looked incredibly tense and unsure of herself.

I love that Real Manly and Laura used calling cards! I wonder what was on the cards — just their names since they didn’t really have addresses or phone numbers? I truly think calling cards should make a comeback because who really wants to give STRANGERS all of your personal info? A name, phone number and email address should be sufficent nowdays.

27. BartTempleton says:

Never saw even half an episode of this series, and never even saw a book cover, so this thread is like a foreign language to me.

However, I will express my shock and joy that this show sounds like it might be right up my alley. I had no inkling there was sex and backstabbers on the Prairie; I always imagined it would be cloyingly wholesome Brady Bunch-esque “family fare.”

28. Jen S says:

Calling cards were quite the thing in fashionable New York (think Edith Wharton-y time frame) and basically became a fad because that was what the hipsters were doing in the Big Apple. Same thing with hoping to see a new copy of Godey Ladies Book–the latest fashions from the east coast. I totally wanted some the first time I read the books–the equivalent of the elaborate stickers my friends and I bought, traded, and hoarded my 7th grade year.

29. maybeimamazed02 says:

Oh God, I’m getting a flashback–I think I actually MADE name cards after reading the book! And yes, I also thought Almanzo giving Laura a ride and the subsequent exchange of name cards was totes romantic.

I’m jealous of anyone who got to see the Little House musical! The show (at least in its heyday) was a little before my time, but I LURVED the books after my uncle gave me the box set when I was in first grade. (I didn’t read them all at once; rather, I’d do about one a year until The First Four Years in junior high.)

And yeah–wowie, Almanzo was cute! He’d have been a little shorter than I, but with a face like that, who cares?

“the most romantic thing ever.”

Agreed, Eli! It was very sweet. 🙂

“Maybe it’s cuz he is not driving a team of horses.”

Ha, Eli! Yeah, that must be it. But, then again, do ‘horse-friendly’ bars even exist? 😉

“The woman playing Mrs. Brewster gave a very chilling performance.”‘

Frankly, I can’t say as I can blame Mrs. B. for losing her mind under the circumstance. Overall, it seemed like a really scary situation for Laura. She barely sleeps at night because she keeps expecting to wake up to find Mrs. Brewster standing over her with the knife. Nor does Laura tell Ma or Pa because she’s worried they won’t let her finish the term and then she won’t be able to get another paid teaching position and help the family pay for Mary’s tuition, etc. at the School of the Blind.

“wonder what was on the cards — just their names since they didn’t really have addresses or phone numbers?”

Yes, Heidi, if memory serves, it was just their names. Laura’s card said ‘Laura Elizabeth Ingalls’ in cursive script. There was an illustration of the card in my edition of LTOTP.

Bonus trivia: Laura’s names cards cost 25 cents for a dozen!

“I had no inkling there was sex and backstabbers on the Prairie”

And drunks too, BartTempleton. Wild Times On The Prairie — woohoo! Check it out:

Another incident occurs early in LTOTP where Laura has a summer job working at a tailor shop in town. She’s approx. 13-14 and is just sitting there sewing button holes, when a tall thin drunk guy walks by outside and purposely puts his foot through the shop’s screen door. The drunk does this all down the line of shops but when he reaches the door of the local saloon, a short fat man comes out and introduces himself with great dignity: “My name is J.P. Taylor…and I’m drunk.”

Then both drunks commence strolling up and down Main Street, chanting, “My name is J.P. Taylor…and I’m DRUNK.” Laura laughs but Mrs. White (her boss) goes all Captain Bring Down on her and says young people have no respect these days. Screen doors cost good money yanno!

Full disclosure: I am relying solely upon memory so if y’all have corrections, feel free to shout ’em out.

“Same thing with hoping to see a new copy of Godey Ladies Book–the latest fashions from the east coast.”

OMG, JenS, Godey’s Ladies Book!!! 🙂

“Bart, what it is is this effed-up shit disguised as cloyingly wholesome family values!”

Dwanollah is spot on! LHOTP is the tip of the iceberg. Hell, America has a long history involving duplicitous, puritanical freaks. Like when very young girls started getting STDs in the early 1900s — the story issued by public health officials stated that diseases like gonorrhea were being transmitted via contact with public toilet seats, a myth that has been perpetuated until quite recently.

The REAL cause of the problem was that STD-infected fathers were sexually abusing their daughters whenever their wives were unavailable for sex due to childbirth/ childcare. It was a god@mn epidemic of incest that harmed innumerable young women yet the authorities refused to cop to that out of respect for ‘moral sensibilities’. Absolutely SICK. 😦

So yeah, the LHOTP books are intended for younger readers but they include a fair amount of social observation/ insight too. Anyone else remember how Ma is a racist in the books? In fact, Laura wrote that Ma ‘couldn’t stand Indians’ and as a child (in LHOTP) overhears Ma talking about massacres at settlements not far from where they were living in Indian Territory.

Ma Ingalls = a sober Marie Vanderhorn Patman in a calico dress? They both seem to have racist fashionista- tendencies.

Speaking of fashion, I totes forgot that Laura does the BSC/ SV clothing description thing too! She had a ‘poke bonnet’ and a hat with ostrich feathers that she wore with a ‘fawn-colored’ dress.

32. Dwanollah says:

The social/political ideology in the LH books is– IMO!–the whole point of ’em! That’s what Rose was DOING! Once you start finding out more about how politically active both Rose AND Laura were, suddenly certain things in the LH books just leap out. One of my papers is a close-read of the various 4th of July scenes, and the political ideology in them (and how it changes from Laura’s first drafts to Rose’s edited versions). It’s amazing stuff!

If anyone wants a good read, pick up Rose’s book “Old Home Town.”

33. Chance0508 says:

I need to get these books. I’m a LIW biography whore. I even read the other Little House books written by other authors – basically it’s published fanfic.

34. Chance0508 says:

Oy. Having now been to Amazon to read the reviews, I think perhaps that I should not read Ghost in the Little House.

I hate to admit this, but I’ve never liked Eliza Jane or, from reading the Rocky Ridge series, Rose herself.

35. Renee says:

Are you kidding me with this awesomeness?

I come here to read about Sweet Valley High and I get bonus LHOTP??

I love you.

Also, Eliza Jane in Arizona is such a C-U-Next Tuesday.

36. identicalgoldlavalieres says:

just my opinion of course, but i never thought the books were the effed up stuff, it was totally the tv show that was effed up. Michael Landon must have been full on crazy. I often wonder if when he died, he met the REAL Laura Ingalls Wilder and she kicked his curly locked, shiny chested ass.

“One of my papers is a close-read of the various 4th of July scenes, and the political ideology in them (and how it changes from Laura’s first drafts to Rose’s edited versions). ”

Wow! That does sound fascinating, Dwanollah! Any chance that you’ll be posting any of your stuff on you blog? *hint, hint* AFTER you’ve defended your dissertation of course! 🙂

And I second the recommendation on “Old Home Town.”

“Has anyone else ever read anything about Pa being involved in the posse that took out the Bender family in Kansas?”

I haven’t, Chance0508, but now you’ve got my curiosity running wild! 🙂 What have you read/ heard?

38. BartTempleton says:

“short fat man comes out and introduces himself with great dignity”

AmberTan, your mini-recap has me ROLLING.
    Thanks to you and Dwanollah for clearing up my misconceptions about LHOTP.

I don’t care if the ” effed-up shit” was disguised as cloyingly wholesome family values.

As long as there was effed-up shit in there.

39. Chance0508 says:

Amber Tan – at this point I don’t even remember where I read it, if it was something about the Benders or something about LIW, but it was something to the effect that Pa had joined in on going looking for the Bender family after their little murder operation was discovered. Later on when the family’s wagon was found with all the bullet holes in it, Pa is said to have said something to the effect of “No one is ever going to find them” in such a way that allows one to infer that he knew that as a fact. I thought that was beyond awesome, because when I first learned about the where and when of the Benders, my first thought was “Hmmm…that was around the time that the Ingalls family was near Independence.”

40. Chance0508 says:

BTW – I remember the name of the drunken fat man in LTotP as T. P. Pryor – pronouced “Tay Pay Pryor…and I’m drunk.”

I also read somewhere that Mary had a year right in the middle of her college career where she stayed out of school for that term. The obvious answer to that being that the family didn’t have the money to send her that year, but my mind insists on making up little scenerios where Mary had a sekrit love child with one of her professors.

“your mini-recap has me ROLLING.”

Happy to be of service, BartTempleton. 🙂

” Later on when the family’s wagon was found with all the bullet holes in it, Pa is said to have said something to the effect of “No one is ever going to find them” in such a way that allows one to infer that he knew that as a fact.”

Eep! Scary prairie stuff! I wonder if any of the local archives have primary sources related to this. Old letters from the settlers and what-not…

“I remember the name of the drunken fat man in LTotP as T. P. Pryor – pronouced “Tay Pay Pryor…and I’m drunk.”

YES! You’re abs right, Chance0508! Many thanks for the correction. Alas, I no longer have the books handy and my memory isn’t what it once was. Not that it was much to begin with. 😉

“Did anyone else ever feel like Mary came off as kind of ungrateful for everything Laura had done when she found out that Laura was going to marry Almanzo?”

Yeah, I got that vibe. Mary was always the family ‘good girl’ and practically became a saint after she went blind. There’s a scene in ‘The Long Winter’ where Ma and the girls are sitting around, freezing their a$$es off in the dark, and the girls start reciting Bible verses from memory. Laura and Mary are pretty much neck-and-neck when Laura finally has to admit that she can’t recall another verse. And when she says, You win, Mary”, Mary comes back all holier-than-thou with “Oh, actually I can’t remember any more either” so Ma declares a tie. [gag]

“my mind insists on making up little scenerios where Mary had a sekrit love child with one of her professors.”

BWAH, Chance0508! Sounds like a strong contender for Best LH Book Never Written… 🙂

42. Canaduck says:

I love the idea of a 120-year-old photo being drooled over by women in the 21st century. I wonder what he would think if he knew! (I did a few seconds of research and found out that he didn’t die until 1949, but by then he was almost 100 years old.)

I do agree, though: he is smokin’. What a great picture.

43. Noble says:

Bonjour! The babes are here! This is my best site to visit. I make sure I am alone in case I get too hot. Post your favorite link here.