Eyes and Ears

You know what one of my pet peeves are? I mean, among the thousands I have. Blogs that don’t update regularly. And I don’t want that blog to be one of them. However…..

I’m not going anywhere, but I have some life stuff going on, like job stuff (I just got myself a new one), personal stuff, starting my MLIS program (yay!), travel, so I may not be able to regularly be posting reviews and such, but I totally don’t want to take a hiatus. Believe me, I’d so much rather be reading SVH than half this “grown up” crap that I need to do.

So here’s my pledge: I will still have as many reviews as I can do, but they may be less frequent. I pledge to do at least one “review” a week. But I will make regaular posts that are intended as more discussion items, so you all can fill in the blanks. My life will slow down a little in September and I imagine I can get back to regular postings. So hang in until then and don’t give up on me!

I also have some other writing projects that I’m excited about, stayed tuned for that…

Besides, Penny Ayala is like totally on my back to write stuff all the time. She’s such a hardass.

I also wanted to mention that I have been TiVo-ing the Travel Channel a lot, and I have a fascination with Passport to Great Weekends with Samantha Brown. However, Samantha annoys the crap out of me and I get a total Jessica vibe from her for some reason. In how she has the “party hasn’t started until I get here” mentality and she shamelessly flirts with everyone she meets, as if she is the toast of the town (hellloooo, you have comcera crews with you and a producer to set up these interactions, don’t think it is because people can’t resist you). Plus, she rocked the gingham-esque dress in Texas. Maybe I am also bitter because when she went to San Francisco she spent most of the episode at the Supper Club and Boudin’s. Wtf is that about?

17 thoughts on “Eyes and Ears

1. Krysten says:

I used to love Passport to Europe with Samantha Brown. Every time I watch her go someplace I wonder how many times she gets traveler’s diarhrrea. I basically used to live vicariously thru the show and “visit” places while sitting on my butt in my sweatpants.

2. Lauri says:

Oh, I like the show, but yeah, she comment’s on what fantastic service the place has. I wonder what service the person two tables over without a camera crew is getting.

3. Lemur says:

Totally agree. But the one thing Travel Channel is great for is a weekly dose of Bourdain-y goodness. Hmmmm …. Tony Bourdain …. so … freakin’ …. hot ….

4. wendy says:

I have a sincere dislike for Ms Brown. My parents were obsessed with the show and one time when I was home visiting, they made me watch a DVR’d episode. See, I have lived overseas since I was 20 (AH! nearly 9 years now) and they thought I would enjoy watching her travel around. But I found her annoying, she gave misinformation and drove me crazy. I do love travel shows though so maybe I should give Sam another chance. But she spent the entire episode where she was in Bath, England (where I lived for nearly two years) saying that if you didn’t pronounce the name ‘correctly’ the locals would all look at you like you were a freak and essentially ignore you.

Eh. Sam’s too ditzy and she always goes to tourist-y places. Super bo-ring.

I’ve been to the Supper Club and Boudins. Sure the food was great but aside from the food, there’s not much attraction. Why not try some other place with a little more festivity? There are tons of awesome eateries in SF, like Schroeder’s German Restaurant. Not only do they serve amazing beers, weinerschnitzel, and cutlets, but they also have polka dancing! Weird, I know, but it’s actually super-fun. ETA: The 2008 schedule is up for all you lucky Bay Area denizens: http://www.schroederssf.com/. Lift a couple at OktoberFest for me will ya? 😉

And I must concur with Lemur re: the hawtness of Anthony Bourdain. The boy’s a rock star and will eat ANYTHING. If you haven’t read his book “Kitchen Confidential” I highly recommend it.

I also like Kevin Brauch, the host of The Thirsty Traveler. Anyone who can savor a pint the way he does is A-OK in my book! 🙂 Plus he’s really down to earth, likes to venture off the beaten path, and always hangs with the locals.

IIRC, in one episode, Kevin visited Scandinavia where his guide took him on a hike up a volcano. Along the way, they stopped and buried an enclosed container filled with bread dough in the ground.

When they returned (the scenery was gorgeous BTW), the bread was baked. I forget the name, but it was a traditional specialty of the region.

A lot of the recipes are posted on the show’s web site too. Check it out: http://www.thirstytraveler.tv/html/home/index.php?sec=home

Eh. Sam is too ditzy and always goes to tourist-y spots. I’ve eaten at both the Supper Club and Boudins and, sure, the food was tasty but other than that? Eh. Not enough action.

San Fran only has about a million awesome eateries. Why not pick one that’s a little more festive — like Schroder’s? Not only are the beers and weinerschnitzel to die for, they have polka dancing! Weird, I know, but it’s actually really fun. Check out the 2008 schedule: http://www.schroederssf.com/

I also like Kevin Brauch, the host of The Thirsty Traveler. He’s really down to earth, likes to venture off the beaten path, and always hangs out with the locals. The destinations he goes to are always fascinating. Plus a lot of the recipes for traditional foods he features are posted on the show’s web site. Yum! 🙂

See: http://www.thirstytraveler.tv/html/home/index.php?sec=home

7. Jan says:

Well I am glad you will try to update as often as you can! I can’t stand when people don’t update blogs regularly, either!

8. Jehanne says:

I’m incredibly happy to hear that you’re still going to be doing regular updates, especially because I just discovered your glorious website today. There I was at my desk, innocently pretending to work, when I followed a link here and nearly had to eat my hoodie to stifle my manic giggling fits.

I’m working my way through the SVH archives… and finding myself strangely compelled to check some of my old favorites out from my library. Hmm…

Anyway — you rock hardcore. Thanks muchly for making an effort to not neglect this blog!

9. BadKat says:

I am so jealous of you, I can’t seem to get my butt into gear and get myself into grad school.

I HATE, HATE, HATE Samantha Brown. Her voice makes me want to gouge my eardrums out. She annoys the crap out of me for reasons I can’t quite pin down. And I refuse to watch her to figure it out.

10. amfairie says:

I actually kind of like Samantha Brown *ducks* There is something a little annoying about her, but I think its mainly extreme jealousy on my part.

Now Tony Bourdain, I could watch that man all day long! 😀

11. Jamie says:

Whenever I watch samantha brown all I can think about is how she got her job? While I study 12 hours a day and torture myself she is traveling the world, and getting paid to do so! I wonder who she had to screw….

12. Erin says:

There’s a great drinking game involved with watching Samantha Brown. Basically, drink every time she drinks. Believe me–you’ll find yourself nearly keeled over drunk before the episode is done. It’s a fun game!

13. Alicia says:

Muah. I love Samantha Brown and I am damn proud of it. Sorry guys!

… As for Anthony Bourdain, I’m jumping on the “yum” bandwagon.

14. Debby Harry says:

Your blog is one of my favorites, but real life comes first. Best of luck on everything and see you on the Internets ASAP. Just don’t let the Babysitters Club know that you’re changing things — you know how they hate change without their consent.
    🙂