viva la judy

The Telegraph has a feature on Judy Blume– millions of women’s “fairy godmother”.  Even more awesome? Judy has a blog!

11 thoughts on “viva la judy

Great find, ihatewheat! I treasure the Judy Blume books in my home library…many thanks for posting about her blog.

And that Henry and Beezus Hand bag rocks! It would be the perfect complement to the “Cheerleading=Death” T-shirt from Bring It On. 😉

2. Laura says:

Oh wow…I used to LOVE Judy Blume. The sort of books you can really gallop through. I started off on Superfudge and that sort of thing, and progressed onto, of course, Are You There God, It’s Me, Margaret. I always thought that it sucked that she had to be called Mavis (sorry if this isn’t right, it’s been ages since I read it) when the rest got to be Kimberley and Veronica etc. I remember reading “Forever” too, and being totally scandalised!

3. Katy says:

I love Judy. I wrote her this really embarrassing letter confessing, among other things, my love for Patrick Swayze, and she wrote back personally to tell me how much she loved him, too.

Thanks for humoring me, Judy.

4. Kellie says:

I was also scandalised by Forever… but also given false expectations of sex. I want multiple orgasms from intercourse alone, dammit!

5. Laura says:

LOL Kellie, I always thought it was awful that she didn’t stay with her boyfriend “forever” – the guy at the camp or whatever didn’t even seem that great. Oh how naive I was…I read it under the covers with a torch, LOL in case my parents discovered it.

6. Kellie says:

I also thought the claims of “true love” and “forever” were pretty dubious… Michael seemed intent on getting into Katherine’s pants from almost the second they met.

“I always thought that it sucked that she had to be called Mavis (sorry if this isn’t right, it’s been ages since I read it) when the rest got to be Kimberley and Veronica etc.”

Me too, Laura. I mean seriously — Mavis?!? What the heck kind of super-cool fabulous name is that? I like it for a dog…but not for a member of a group calling itself the Pre-Teen Sensations. Then again, Margaret was the new girl in town so maybe the others thought it only fair that she get the crappiest name of the lot. At least Margaret wasn’t the last one to get her period and didn’t resort to lying like Nancy did. 😉

“I remember reading “Forever” too, and being totally scandalised!”

Not really scandalized but I was definitely very favorably impressed that Katherine went to Planned Parenthood to get on the Pill. Even at 12 years old, this struck me as A Very Responsible Thing To Do.

8. Johnny Buck says:

In second grade we got to choose any book we wanted and write a book report on it. I picked “Are You There God” without knowing what the book was actually about. I was completely mortified when I realized that there was no time to pick another book … writing that book report was impossible. Even though I knew what menstruation was, I didn’t want the teacher to know that I knew … so I made up this completely different plot about how there was a mouse in the house and Margaret was afraid of it and that’s why she had to keep asking God for advice. I basically just wrote a different story and handed it in. The teacher just wrote “too much dialogue” on it and gave me an A.