Sam almost moves to Japan to be a hooker, or Sunset Island #7, Sunset Heat

These stupid covers! Sam has a hat and a cane, I guess because she is a dancer. But, she’s not a minstrel dancer or anything- she does mostly modern dance and hip hop. What gives? And the boys on the cover, I can only assume are Presley and Kurt. Pres is wearing his boxers, I think. And they are way hiked up. As for Kurt, I think this is when I learned the concept of a “treasure trail”.

So the gals are back on the Island, and Sam is still contemplating her life after leaving Kansas State. And Becky and Allie the slut twins, have changed. Allie now dresses like a nun and is a rip off of Winona Ryder’s character in Mermaids.

Sam meets a new friend Marina, who is a dancer also. They go out to a club (apparently Sunset Island is also home to many nightclubs) and randomly there is a scout or a dance company who offers them jobs on the spot, in Japan. Marina goes right away and Sam still thinks about it for a bit.

To get a passport, she keeps asking her parents for her birth certificate. They are hesitant to send it…because Sam is ADOPTED! And they were never planning on telling her, which is kind of shitty. So that makes Sam want to run away to Japan even more, but then she gets a call from Marina telling her that the whole thing is a sham, and is really an international prostitution ring. Yikes! Sam gets megabucks Emma to pay for Marina’s flight home.

Oh, and lots of stupid flirting with Presley Travis, who only talks in bad Southern cliches.

Heh. The twins call each other “slimey slut lizards”. I’ll have to use that one.

I think this book also has the debut of Lord Whitehead and the Zit Men, which is Ian Templeton (the kid Carrie takes care of)’s band, who plays industrial music. Literally. They bang on washing machines along to the beat of popular music. Kind of cutting edge.

This is also the summer that lasts about 10 years, aka about thirty books.

Seriously, if you haven’t you should start reading these. I have been enjoying them more at age thirty than I did at thirteen. But then again, I’m kind of bizarre.

15 thoughts on “Sam almost moves to Japan to be a hooker, or Sunset Island #7, Sunset Heat

1. Laura says:

Hee…I remember reading a couple of these, to supplement my SVH/BSC habit. I used to love those collage-type covers, amazing how dated and weird they look now! Pity Sam didn’t go to Japan…would have made for interesting reading as a thirteen year old.

2. kiwimusume says:

I need to get hold of this book and read it if only to see what they’re saying about Japan and how stereotypical it is.

In particular, I’m dying to see if they have any characters speak Japanese, as that’s usually good for a laugh. Can anyone who’s read the book tell me if they do?

3. Jen S says:

Maggiecat, yup, and she ended up killing the guy who recruited her once she found out he was in New York. Hah, vengeance! Too bad that wasn’t the plot of one of these.

4. Ellie says:

I want to read the little-known sequal to this Sunset Beach in which Sam joins the prostitution ring and becomes the regular customer of an American businessman in Japan who is, in fact…wait for it…her biological brother who also never knew he was adopted.
    Now that kind of story line would warrant the title Sunset HEAT.

“As for Kurt, I think this is when I learned the concept of a “treasure trail”.”

Bwah! [wiping coffee off monitor]

“This is also the summer that lasts about 10 years, aka about thirty books.”

SI must be in the same time zone as SV. And I am boggled that I missed this book earlier…good call, ihatewheat.

“the little-known sequal to this Sunset Beach in which Sam joins the prostitution ring…”

Hee, Elle! I must have missed that one too — it sounds like a dilly! 😉 And I’ll bet you totally kicked a$$ in that party game where everyone goes around the room and creates a silly story by adding a line to the narrative.

6. Jane says:

“Lord Whitehead and the Zit Men”

I just finished watching the entire Degrassi Junior High series. This reminds me of the Zit remedy, later the Zits… that horrible band

7. Jamie says:

I have never heard of this series. What kind of books for teens includes plots about prostitution rings in Japan…I think my overprotected, naive 13 year old self would have been traumatized lol.

8. Morgan says:

I LOVED this series. Not sure which book it’s from, but everytime I eat shrimp I think of one of the kids saying how “shrimp eat all the crud in the sea” – it must have been one of Emma’s charges.

Anyway lame story, but it means I am reminded of Sunset Beach fairly often!

9. SuperPana says:

I loved this series so much but only read the first, maybe six? And then scoured bookstores for years looking for more and never finding them. I never asked, because even at 12 I knew they weren’t something I wanted people to know I was reading.

Having it turn out that there are THIRTY BOOKS sort of gives me new reason to live.

10. tinypants says:

So maybe I am really behind the times and everyone else on earth already knows this, but I was just totally blown away the other day by the revelation that Cherie Bennett is also 1/2 of “Zoey Dean,” the author of the hideous monstrosity that is “The A-List.” The other author is a man whose name I didn’t recognize, not sure but I would guess it is the same guy she co-authored a lot of other series books I’ve never heard of in the ’90s (Jeff Gottesfeld).

ZOMG! Just looked it up and it’s her HUSBAND! According to Amazon.ca, which gives you the dirt the American version of the site won’t:

“Zoey Dean is the pen name we’re using for Cherie Bennett and Jeff Gottesfeld, who have written numerous teen novels, including all of the titles in the New York Times bestselling A-List series.
    We chose the name ‘Zoey Dean’ so the series will be shelved prominently next to Meg Cabot’s mega-bestselling Princess Diaries series.”

Ew! Especially because, IMHO, ‘Princess Diaries’ is actually a lot better than I thought it would be (since it’s NOTHING like the movie and light-years more well-written than utter dreck like ‘The A-List’). Can’t believe she’s been cranking out bottom-feeding YA series for so long!!

11. aaaames says:

Oh my god, tinypants! I am so disgusted about a name picked JUST OUT OF SHELFSPACE REASONS. I mean, I’m sure it happens more often than I’d like to think, but, ewwww.

Also, word up to Princess Diaries! I am always trying to convince my friends that they (and the All-American Girl books) are totes subversive and feminist!