Reader James pointed out the link to James Mathewuse site, who did all the illustrated covers for the Sweet Valley High and Twins series.
Gotta say, he’s pretty talented for doing realist drawings. He managed to make the twins look like twins and kept the characters similar from cover to cover.
I love the above picture because he’s all, “I have an effing MFA and this is what my life has become?” Probably not, he’s made a good career out of cover art. It doesn’t answer the question if the portraits had human models…it must, right? You can’t pull human faces out of the air and paint them. And did he have some sort of consultant? Or did he come up with Liz’s matching barrettes on his own?
This inspired me to come up with a list of the many cliches of a SVH cover:
- the lavalieres, of course
- Liz’s barrettes
- Jessica’s feathered bangs
- Jessica in a string bikini
- “Sears portrait” style (a couple “posing for the cover”)
- Enid’s ‘fro
- Liz’s pleated pants
- Liz’s condescending look to the “minority” or helpless sack of shit that she will save in the book
- High school guys looking at least 32
- Liz or Jess’s “o” shaped mouth when they find something shocking or of it’s a super thriller
Another thing about the site- reading comic sans makes me want to go out on a murder spree. Also, that “Roommates” series that he did portraits for? Why haven’t I heard of those? They look pretty awesome.
Update: the SVH junior class has at least 83 students…pretty impressive.