Overeaters Nonanonymous, or Sleepover Friends #3, Kate’s Surprise

I would describe this one as CLASSIC Sleepover Friends. As in, has all the hallmarks of the series. Unhealthy amounts of food, sneaking out, parents enabling behavior, fights, parties, shopping, outfits…wait, I’m getting ahead of myself.

The gals are making avocado face masks, and of course, Lauren wants to eat all of it. They also sneak back to Lauren’s house to watch her brother’s girlfriends’ surprise party. But Bullwinkle, Lauren’s scary Newfoundland dog, sees them and pins them and licks the masks off their faces. That dog scares the crap out of me. Of course, they get locked out of the house and they have to wake up Kate’s parents to let them back in. And of course, the parents don’t seem too mad. Why do they put up with the antics? These girls are not exactly evil, but they do wreak havoc when they have their sleepovers.

Meanwhile, the three are planning a surprise party for Kate, so they have to sneak around and get her present. Kate wants to go to the mall on Saturday morning but the other three were planning on going to get her gift. Steph lies and says she is getting her haircut. Well, the other three go anyway and Kate sees them there Steph has to keep her promise and get her hair cut! The horror! But, she ends up liking it because she thinks it makes her face look thinner. Oy, you’re ten, Steph.

The girls want to buy Kate a Calico kitten from a pet store, but it is expensive (so go to a shelter and get one…this annoyed me) so they get odd jobs to raise the money. Kate sees them hanging around together and gets more and more angry. Sally Mason has a party with seventh graders (WOW!) and they all go, but Kate ignores them and hangs out with the bitchy Jenny Carlin. In fact, the SFs planned on wearing “pants rolled up, two shirts (?) and colored sneaks.” Kate however, hangs with her new friends and wears “colored leggings and dangling earrings”. Um, that’s kind of how I dress everyday.

The kitten was sold so Lauren’s mom adopts a whole boxful of kittens. Because it’s all about their parents catering to every whim and then some. They use their hard-earned money to get Kate a singing telegram, a heart shaped pizza, and an ice cream cake. All is well and they sleep over Kate’s house the night after they had their sleepover. How is this healthy for children to stay up all night two nights in a row?

I saved the best part for last- the disgusting amounts of food that they consume. It’s really ridiculous and I never realized it the first time around. So, at the first sleepover of the book, they have marshmallow fudge, Lauren’s bacon and sour cream dip, a basket of BBQ chips, and an extra-large bottle of diet pepper. Haven’t these girls ever heard of popcorn? Or veggie sticks? After Kate gets mad at them, they do some comfort eating: two big bowls of Caramel popcorn, Dr. Pepper ice cream floats, plates (plural!) of nachos made with corn chips and nacho cheese, and a plate of chocolate chip cookies. For three girls! And then the next day, they all eat the pizza and entire ice cream cake! I especially love consuming food, but I got nauseous reading this. I am not saying that they should all be on diets, but all this sugar and fat plus the lack of sleep every weekend can’t be good for growing children. Again, can the parents step in and monitor this? Probably not. They are too busy building houses in their backyard for their eleven year old daughters.

Edit: I had a conversation about this post with someone, and I just wanted to add that I am criticizing their food consumption from a health and reality perspective. When I hear about eight year olds on diets, I want to rip my hair out. But when these girls do this, it will set them up with a really unhealthy relationship with food.  And they always seem to eat until they feel sick. Wtf is that about? Clearly, as if you couldn’t tell already, I am far from a Wakefield figure. Actually, I am the same size as the Wakefields, maybe both of them together.

I also foget to comment on the cover! Ummmmm, Lauren and Patti look 18. We finally see the infamous Roger, who looks younger than the gals. He’s the one inside holding the cake. I’m not impressed.

21 thoughts on “Overeaters Nonanonymous, or Sleepover Friends #3, Kate’s Surprise

“…marshmallow fudge, Lauren’s bacon and sour cream dip, a basket of BBQ chips, and an extra-large bottle of diet pepper…. two big bowls of Caramel popcorn, Dr. Pepper ice cream floats, plates (plural!) of nachos made with corn chips and nacho cheese, and a plate of chocolate chip cookies… For three girls! And then the next day, they all eat the pizza and entire ice cream cake!”

Jeebus! I’ve dated linebackers who eat less. Sounds like these gals must be tokin’ the chronic in their backyard houses to have such emormous appetites…or maybe they’re bulimic?

2. Nester says:

Ha! I totally rocked the Sleepover Friends 2 shirts look. You take 2 different color tees, and roll up the sleeves to have contrasting cuffs. Pretty rad.

3. Merrie says:

Ugh. My stomach hurts just reading that. Or it could be the three (OK, four) inside-out Oreos I inhaled at our holiday luncheon.

4. Jade Wu's Toe Shoe says:

Wait, wait, you skipped your usual paragraph devoted to mocking the cover! That’s one of my favorite parts! Image my distress!

The rest of the recap was awesome. As per usual. (Incidentally, I vividly recall being jealous that all these girls were skinny despite their horrid eating habits.)

5. kiwimusume says:

Wouldn’t Stephanie have to get her hair cut to make the lie plausible anyway? Not the smartest of lies there…

6. Tracy says:

I always felt cheated when I’d have friends sleep over and all we’d get was peanutbutter sandwiches, orange juice and cereal straight out of the box, probably saved me an extra 20 pounds as an adult though.

7. kiwimusume says:

Eventually one of them gets too many cavities and the group cuts back on their sugar/fat/garbage consumption

Eeeeeeeeee!!!! Do you remember which one? ihatewheat, you should totes do that one!!

8. Diane says:

I’m embarrassingly attracted to the idea of bacon and soup cream dip with bbq chips. But the idea of a Dr. Pepper float seems really gross to me, as the taste of that particular soda seems like it would be weird with ice cream.

9. Susan says:

A quick google search says the sugar binges continue until book #33!

Sleepover Friends #33 Lauren’s Double Disaster
    What a week !! Lauren can’t believe her bad luck. First, her teacher, Mrs. Mead announces rthat everyone’s expected to do a project for this year’s art fair– and Lauren is a total art klutz! Then, she findsout she’s got not one, not two, but three cavities! The rest of the Sleepover Friends try to help Lauren with her art project– and her dental problems. (They even agree to eat rice cakes and drink diet Dr. Pepper instead of enjoying theior usual treats!) But it isn’t until their new friend, Hope, comes to the rescue that Lauren discovers maybe she’s a better artist than she thought. RL4

• Brittani says:

Ya English e man bade to neveshtan ya shoma daghgih nemikhoonid. bara TCAS bayad az username ke to database bara moshtari tarif kardi estefadeh konid. dar zemn bayad tick e encryption ro az to barnamete TekRADIUS bardarid.Translation:I guess 2 things. First My English is weak in writing band and second you don’t read carefully. By the way, For logging in to TCAS you should use your customers account inside TekRADIUS Program. Meanwhile you should Disable Encryption for saving passwords inside database from TekRADIUS interface.

10. Jess says:

Nobody has yet addressed the fact that these ten-year-old girls are saving up to purchase a pet for their friend without first consulting her parents or anything like that. That was the part that always bugged me about this book.

11. Merrie says:

Regarding the Sleepover Friends decision to drink Diet Dr. Pepper — did it taste more like regular Dr. Pepper? 🙂

That’s Roger holding the cake? Really? Dear God, that’s just sad. I always pictured him as, well, hotter. He has the belly Lauren should have from all he junk food consumption.

And his girlfriend has a mullet.

12. Cat says:

Boooo on them for buying a gift pet!! (and from a pet store no less) I work at a shelter and we get SO MANY animals that have been given as gift pets. Forget all the overeating and lack of parental monitoring… this one really burned me up!!

Okay, rant over XD

13. Krysten says:

None of the sleepover food ever sounded good to me. I think I would have gotten a sugar headache from that fudge, but I was always tempted to make it.