Francine plans to bestow a whole new generation with internalized oppression!

Reader Jessa Fields brought this to our attention: it seems that SVH is getting a re-release. Why? Trying to cash in? Will tweens of this generation appreciate it? I don’t think so. It’s so ridiculous and not like anything today. And think about how cellphone, internet and myspace would have affected the SVH kids. I don’t know if it would be better or worse. Plus, the Gossip Girl series is kind of the SVH of today.

I think SVH also epitomizes eighties culture. And not just because of the bad outfits. It represents the rise of the yuppie culture and obsession with the rich (Lila and Bruce’s homes and belongings always get a Cribs- like description) and it’s exteme un PC-ness and exclusion of anything different or not the white, rich standard. Sure, the token people of color are there, but that’s just it— as tokens. Yes, you are probably wondering why this is different from today, and sadly, it’s not. However, if you’ve ever read American Psycho* (which I considerone one of my favorite novels ever) you can see the eighties-esque obsession with excess.

I have heard the argument about some teen books as “well, at least kids are reading”. But my lord, do we really need to make teen girls feel anymore like the victims of shitty gender socialization that they already are? If you know any teen girls, KEEP THEM AWAY FROM THESE!

*Yes, I realize that this novel is incredibly misogynist, graphic, sexist, and downright sickening to read. Although I recognize that, I believe the author was using the character to make a statement about these oppressions and basically make an allegory for all the sick shit in the worls. And, although quite good, the movie version totally missed the point of the book. I am including this because when I tell people this is my favorite book it may give an impression of me that is actually quite the opposite. I promise to contunue to read cheesy YA series, don’t worry.

55 thoughts on “Francine plans to bestow a whole new generation with internalized oppression!

1. Gretchen says:

Word UP. So, so true. I try to buy my fifteen-year-old cousin feminist books, like “Full Frontal Feminism” and stuff like that. I know it’s impossible to keep kids from the cruel caste system that dominates high school, but we can at least try to temper that influence by offering positive role models, woman-friendly books, etc.

2. Robyn says:

It really wasn’t until I started reading these recaps that I realised how much SVH warped my sense of reality. There is still a part of me that believes that if I lose these extra 50 pounds that I carry around, that I will become all types of desirable, ala Robin Wilson’s epic makeover. I’m 28 and I still believe it. At least now I remember where that whole unrealistic view comes from…

I really hope a new generation won’t buy into the mind warping view of SVH!

• An oldie to some of you says:

Again, goodness, must everyone be so megative towards a writer trying to reach out to a new generation? I am a social worker – and have worked with and be-friended all differnt types of people over the years – I am 34 years old- read SVH growing up – have read the re-releases, I think Pascal did a great job at updating the dialogue to fit today’s teen and young adult world of the “must have’s” – but what book series, movies series, etc. has anyone ever read that does not have that young beautiful girl with a great figure and nice tan? I’m 115 lbs, size 6 never been much more than that – BUT I also don’t pay attention to those in the world that “judge” by race, gender, sex, WEIGHT, amount of tan, etc. reading the novels did not “warp” my mind or world – maybe you can search within yourself and find what makes you scapegoat a book series for your own personal feelings and find a way to work through them and realize that no matter how tall, how short, how skinny, how big boned, how fat, how tanned or not you are, that everyone is worth being liked, accepted and loved. But you must embrace those feelings about yourself before others can. Good Luck

3. Laura says:

ha, Robyn, I totally agree with you. I’m a senior in college and I still think, “If only I could lose 25 or so pounds, then my dating life would be so much better.” Also when I see larger girls with hot boyfriends, I think things like, “she’s too much of a butterball to have a guy like that” (a thought a la Jessica Wakefield). I read the SVH books when I was in middle school and I think they totally warped my impressionable mind (and self-esteem/perception of the world).

4. Jessa Fields says:

I think SVH actually embodies the entire twenty-something years of its run. Initially you had the 1980s excess culture you refer to, but then you had the series of “issue books” (which were, with the exception of Tom McGay, pretty boring) in the more PC late 1980s/early 1990s; and then in the mid-1990s a bunch of ludicrous multi-episode adventures that in retrospect seem very “Melrose Place” (the Jeremy saga, the Evil Twin, etc); and then a relauching in the early millennium designed to compete with other teen series that incorporate such novelties as the internet, or Black People. (I have to say, the “diverse” Senior Year books are almost as offensive as the earlier books — are Maria and Jade central characters now for any other reason than the color of their skin? It’s so Jessi Ramsey.)

In SVH’s defense, however, the Gossip Girl books make Francine Pascal look like Simone de Beauvoir and Martin Luther King Jr combined.

BTW I am so with you on American Pyscho! I love that book and agree that it is completely misunderstood. I was a huge Bret Easton Ellis fan back in high school (still like him now too) and made my mom take me to NYC when I was 15 so I could meet him at a Barnes and Noble reading. We were the oldest and the youngest people there. I actually like the movie too, even though it’s different; I met the woman who directed it and she had a very intelligent take on the book.

• An oldie to some of you says:

You are surprised? As if young kids and young adults do not get their hands on much worse books? Of course they do, and you forget one thing, it is a book, it is fictional… maybe try reading some disney fairy tales to sooth your thoughts. Or you could always resort to Wiley who was always trying to kill the roadrunner and dying and blowing up in the process… or tom and jerry who painfully hurt each other in every episode… but I guess that not’s violent right?

5. Molly says:

I’m dying to find out if they updated any of the pop culture references for the reissues, or if Jessica still looks “just like Bo Derek in 10!” as book #2 opens…

6. Kellie says:

^ hahaha I’m wondering about that too! I remember there was another book where someone (really can’t remember who) says they also like modern bands like the Police.

7. Jessa Fields says:

Oh man, I remember the Bo Derek thing! I was like who the hell is that? The best though was in Power Play, when Jessica asks Elizabeth who she voted for as the new cheerleader, and Elizabeth gets frustrated and says “Pat Benatar!” I thought Pat Benetar was a new girl in school and I had missed something.

8. wanderingfrog says:

They’ve actually already reissued it in the UK, and you can read about it in this recap on LJ.

I thought SVH was ridiculous even back when I was eight and it never warped my view of anything because I never saw it as an accurate or desirable view of reality, so I can’t really relate to those of you who found that reading SVH affected you unhealthily. Admittedly, I didn’t read many Sweet Valley books, but that was why I didn’t — they were just too silly for me. Now that I’m an adult and I find this blog very entertaining, I’m also enjoying reading some SV books for the mockery value… and because sometimes I do want to know what happens next, no matter how ridiculous it is.

I don’t really understand why it’s being re-released, though. Assumptions that girls cry rape and that it’s no big deal if a guy tries to rape someone are so not cool. The books are fun shit to read if you put them in some sort of (I can’t believe I am saying this) historical context, and plenty of kids are smart enough to do that, but it still seems icky to repackage something so completely inappropriate.

9. Anonymous says:

With a bit of luck the parents of the new readers of SVH can direct theim to this site or 1Bruce1 so they can see how stupid they really are.
    I’m looking forward to the day my daughter and I can pick each book apart and laugh at how unrealistic they are. I’ve kept all my copies just for this purpose.

• An oldie to some of you says:

Laugh away – but when you are telling your daughter about the “joys” of reading, as I have told my children, don’t forget to tell them fiction books are exactly that.. fiction.. reading is about being in a safe place of refuge where you can be anyone and do anything… while you sit on your bed or coach at home reading, you can be the princess in the tower with the dragon that the knight has to slay, or you can be the top model in america who wins the contest, or you can be snobby or smart twin and ahve it all… maybe you can share some of the classics with your daughter as well… such a romeo and juliet, just remind her that when she begins dating to not drink poison or stick a dagger in her bellow to commit suicide over “forbidden love”
      This is a rely everyone should read, you people are really narrow minded and can’t seem to appreciate what the joy of reading is all about, I hope all commentors can open their minds a little appreciate the joys of writing and reading. Good luck with your daughter and the laughing part

10. Kellie says:

***I don’t really understand why it’s being re-released, though. Assumptions that girls cry rape and that it’s no big deal if a guy tries to rape someone are so not cool. The books are fun shit to read if you put them in some sort of (I can’t believe I am saying this) historical context, and plenty of kids are smart enough to do that, but it still seems icky to repackage something so completely inappropriate***

I completely agree. These books are a lot of fun to read as an adult for the sheer ludicruous factor, but as a kid, while I didn’t think they were exactly realistic, I also didn’t think they were complete escapism, either as they do refer to real life situations.

Bruce Patman’s behavior in Dear Sister was every bit as appalling as John Pfeifer’s in the much-later Don’t Go Home With John. Yet Bruce was never known as a rapist. The girls still attended parties at his house and he always remained one of the gang.

11. kiwimusume says:

Jessa – I had the same thing with the “Pat Benetar” comment. I thought it was someone who really sucked, and Jessica was being ironic.

12. kiwimusume says:

Re the re-release, I didn’t think about it that way. I just thought “There’s no way these are going to sell, teenagers’ bullshit detectors are a lot better these days.” But now you guys mention it, these books could do a fuckload of damage to, say, a rape victim, or a girl who is very insecure about her weight. And it amazes me that society is PC enough to change the Cookie Monster song to “A Cookie Is A Sometimes Food” and ban tag in some schools because “it’s too violent”, and yet they release books in which guys nearly rape girls with no consequence and fat chicks become “acceptable” characters only after they drop 50 kilos over the space of a week.

• An oldie to some of you says:

Pardon your sailor mouth, I guess the books warped your language content maybe? And re: your comment about a rape victim or an overweight person, survival of the fittest, it only affects those who allow it and those who are weak and do not seek help for themselves. From one who was raped at 13, the series has nto affected me, from one who is 115 lbs size 6 for the most of my life, after the birth of my son, I worked off those extra lbs that put me in a size 10 – so back to a size 6 with health probelms – uncurrable fibromyalgia and osteoporosis, osteoarthritis… still the series has not warped my mind – please, these comments make me sick – jsut like cinderella and slelping beauty fairytales, THEY ARE FICTION!!! I haven’t seen any comments about how skinny and pretty cinderella was, don’t forget, the point of reading a fiction book is to dive into it’s reality for the time… hence the purpose of reading… while you read in your comfy bed all snuggled up safe from the world, you can be anything or anyone and do anything imagineable… in the pages of a book. And if those choose to make the book reality… then I guess all the Star Wars sci fiction books and the Debbie McComber or Judith McNaught (excellent writers as well) books should be taken off the market too because they are a juicy romance. Please, you people make me sick!!! Get some help and stop feeling sorry for yourself!

13. Linared says:

**Bruce Patman’s behavior in Dear Sister was every bit as appalling as John Pfeifer’s in the much-later Don’t Go Home With John. Yet Bruce was never known as a rapist. The girls still attended parties at his house and he always remained one of the gang**

To me this was always one of the most appalling parts of the books. I do wonder if they thought the series wouldn’t continue and when it did, they decide they would try to just try to forget the whole thing.

14. Merrie says:

Does anyone even think the series will be successful? I work in a bookstore part-time (discount, baby!) and SVH is tame compared to Gossip Girl, It Girl, A List and any of the other YS series popular today. It will be interesting to see if the reissue stops is sales fall flat.

15. meowmix says:

I don’t think SVH will survive in the YA market, if they do market to teens. They already tired revamping the series with the Senior Years series but it was a too little too late. Gossip Girl and the like are much more explicit with its content than SVH ever will be. I flipped through one of the Gossip girl novels. Damn, the series makes Jessica look like a saint.

But if they spin it to the adults, it might do a little better there.

16. Kellie says:

***But now you guys mention it, these books could do a fuckload of damage to, say, a rape victim, or a girl who is very insecure about her weight. And it amazes me that society is PC enough to change the Cookie Monster song to “A Cookie Is A Sometimes Food” and ban tag in some schools because “it’s too violent”, and yet they release books in which guys nearly rape girls with no consequence and fat chicks become “acceptable” characters only after they drop 50 kilos over the space of a week.***

Too true!

17. Gabrielle says:

I always thought of Sweet Valley as the precursor to the trashy YA stuff of today like Gossip Girl and the A-list. Yeah Sweet Valley is tame compared to the GG books but I don’t think it was considered tame for its time. So in some ways I think we have Francine Pascal to thank for the Gossip Girls.

Do I think that Sweet Valley can compete against them? No. Times have changed and they are products of their time. You would have to update them and add in sex and things. But then they wouldn’t read like Sweet Valley they would read like a Gossip Girl book.

18. Margaret says:

I’m a young adult librarian, and I guarantee that T]these will never fly off shelves for teens today. Too dated, too tame. Gossip Girls is just like SVH, only the girls actually go through with it and have sex, drink,e tc.. not just hint at it. There’s also the It girl novels and a bunch of others. I think it’s gonna flop, unless she does some serious updates on the books to de-80’s them.

19. Janelle says:

I read somewhere that they are going through and modernizing the books. I’m not sure if that just means updating the technology, or if actual story changes will be made. It’s long been rumored that Francine is working on a new series (or maybe just one novel) featuring the original characters in their twenties and living in a gated community. This series is supposed to be called “Sweet Valley Heights” or “Sweet Valley Confidential”. My guess is that the re-releases are aiming at recapturing audiences for the new series, however, there’s still no actual news saying if this new series will happen or not.

Question for those of you who are young adult librarians- what exactly do you do? What kind of place do you work and do you like it-

I am considering a degree in library/info sciences, originally wanting to work in academia, but doing this blog has kinda maybe want to work in YA stuff.

Of course, no need to indulge personal details, just curious.

21. Jennifer says:

Six dollars for a SVH book! Wow! I know it is 25 years later, but wow!
    I would also love some info from YA Librarians. I am desperate for a career change, have been putting off a master’s degree for 12 years now!

22. wanderingfrog says:

I can’t answer any questions AS a YA librarian, because I’m not one, but I do have an MLIS, currently work in a bookstore, am starting a job in the reference department of a public library very soon, and would like to be a YA librarian someday, so if anybody’s ever got any questions that they think I might actually be able to answer, feel free to fire away.

23. Margaret says:

if you want to know anything about being a YA librarian, MLS programs, etc.. leave me a message (on my blog or in email) with questions or a way to contact you. AIM is always a good bet for me. Definitely leave a message, cause I don’t mind answering questions. It really is the best job ever!

24. EnidRollins says:

They already re-released a couple with covers that showed the two girls as cartoonish blondes. I don’t think it went over well. Apparently in the re-released ‘Double Love’, not much has changed.

SVH will…not…sell today. It’s cheesy and tame. Girls today love gossip girl, it’s all about teh sex.

25. Ellen K. says:

Good points, everyone.

The girls’ picture on this new cover is intriguing — it’s unlike any earlier SVH edition, where the twins were always clearly identified by expression (Jessica, conniving; Elizabeth, offended or concerned), hairstyle, or clothes. Here I suppose Jessica is the twin in front, wearing black and showing more cleavage. But they are completely interchangeable.

BTW, Joanna Webb Johnson has a good essay on YA series, “Chick Lit Jr.”, in “Chick Lit: The New Women’s Fiction” (S. Ferriss, M. Young, eds).

26. greenergrassier says:

I am always so disappointed when the twins look like real girls. Like I always expect them to be breath-takingly beautiful and then either they get the weird looking Daniels sisters or those big toothed monkey featured girls on the original SVU covers. And the girls on this cover look really slutty…I honestly wish they could use the girls from that contact lense commercial.

27. ana says:

jeez, one of the twins looks like the girl who plays lily on all my children, and the other looks like ali larter. that’s way creepy.

In response to your question re: librarianship, ihatewheat.

I’ve been working in academic law libraries since 1998, mostly technical services (i.e. acquisitions, cataloging, serials) although I still do reference work on a regular basis. During high school, I worked in a public library and the budget was always tight. When I was in college, I also worked in the library and it was hard to get shifts because (surprise, surprise) the budget was tight. I also worked at a community college which has not replaced me since my departure in 2005. The reason? Yup, you guessed it, the budget’s too tight.

I received my MLIS from San Jose State University (2003) where the majority of my classmates were studying to be children’s or YA librarians or school media specialists. Unfortunately, that particular area of librarianship is glutted with trained professionals and not a lot of folks seem to be retiring. To make matters worse, public and school libraries are having their budgets drastically cut in many regions, oftentimes leading to dismissal of staff. Depending on where you live, it might be really difficult to find a position.

My advice: Please don’t limit yourself. Be flexible and open to possibilities. Take stock of your talents and existing skill sets and build on that foundation. Be willing to relocate if necessary. Before enrolling in library school, 1) be sure it’s accredited by the American Library Association and 2) take a good look at the program tracks being offered. You might decide you want to go into a different field like IT (where salaries average about $10K higher than average per year) or archives (where you’ll make buttkiss but work with really cool primary source material). You can also work in a science, medical, or law library.

There are many distance education programs available although I can’t recall if any are currently accredited by ALA (maybe a couple). From having hired a number of staff, I can tell you that online programs are eyed warily by hiring committees, mostly because they’re so new and the ones hiring tend to be a bit older (Boomer generation).

Also, being bi or multi-lingual is a huge advantage when looking for a professional librarian position. Many communities are becoming more diverse so that’s obviously a very desirable thing to be able to put on your resume. Spanish is the top language that I see being requested in library job postings but having any language will still make you look HAWT to prospective employers. 😉

In the meantime, you might want to subscribe to some of the free professional list-servs to get a better idea of what librarianship entails. Frankly, there’s a shitload of them out there that covers every conceivable topic related to library and information science. They are also a really good source for job postings, scholarships, and grants. For example, AUTOCAT is a forum for catalogers; SERIALIST is for serials staff; GOVDOC-L is for government documents librarians; LAWLIB is for law library directors. Well, you get the picture…

ETA: Here’s the link to YALSA which is for YA librarians: http://blogs.ala.org/yalsa.php?cat=26

Anyhow, I hope this helps you attain your goals, ihatewheat. Librarianship is a great field and you’ll love it (and by love, I mean LOVE). I’ll be checking back periodically, natch, so if you have any questions, please feel free to post and I’ll try to get back to you ASAP.

In the meantime, everyone have a great T-Day and let’s forget all about our “perfect size 6 figures”. 😉

29. Taren says:

The girls aren’t even twins. They’re Levin Rambin from All My Children. They kind of had her do a similar thing on the show. She’s Lily AND Lily’s half sister (not even a twin).

30. James says:

i don’t see how they could pull this off without and update for today’s audiences. those books seemed dated even back when i was reading them…and this was during the early 90s!

they also failed miserably w/ their “modern” spin on it with the senior year series…i suspect these books are aimed solely at the nostalgia market, with a trick cover to boot. This way, the 30 yr old fans can get reacquainted with the characters just in time for the new series release of sweet valley heights

31. Ashleyy says:

There was supposedy a new SV series called “Sweet Valley Heights” or some shit that featured the twins as adults. it was supposed to be released in 2006 or something. i was like, hyperventalating when i found that out. Like, creaming my pants, i was so excited for “new” sweet valley.

Too bad it never came out. does anyone know what happened to that?

And i LOVE the new covers, i can’t wait until they are released. im so excited to re-read them all modernized. YES!!!

32. janeprimrose says:

This always seems to be how people defend the Harry Potter books when I point out the rubbish characterisation, dubious moral messages, rather poor plotting… to which I can only answer, ‘If your kid only ate potato chips and thought they were the best food of all, would you say “at least he’s eating”?’
    I mean at least Claudia Kishi ate normal meals as well as the entire Hostess snack cake range, and she did mention having enjoyed some solid ‘literature’ like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
    Nowadays, Claudia totally runs a blog where she affectionately makes fun of Nancy Drew books.

33. SVH loser says:

I haven’t read any of the Gossip Girl books that get referred to but I get the general impression that a lot think they are better. I don’t understand how encouraging forteen year olds to have sex when – seriously do they get anything out of it? – by glamorising it in books is better than the issues surrounding SVH. I don’t think I was adversely affected by SVH, they were ridiculous enough so that I could use them for a bit of escapism when I was young but not be molded to think that being a bitch or a tease was acceptable and awesome.

34. Likky says:

I totally agree that it’s unnecessary to re-launch the series, as the characters and plots were really definitive of the times. Only us children of the ’80s can appreciate the fluffy lives that the Sweet Valley twins led. And yeah, I probably have a warped sense of reality because of THEIR twisted sense of reality, too.

That being said, the faces of Elizabeth and Jessica are so ingrained in my mind (from the original series) that seeing anyone else as them just doesn’t feel right. I actually hate the new generic covers…very blah…

35. Lucy says:

To all those of you who seem to think these books are going to warp teenagers minds. I read my way through most of Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High and SVU as a teenager. Since I have since trained as an Aerospace Engineer (1 of only 8 girls in a class of 70) and still not lost the 20 pounds needed to make me an American Size 8 I dont think it did me much harm. The books (to a British teenager anyway) portrayed such an unrealistic view of teenage life that it didnt put pressure on me it was just enjoyable fluff.

• An oldie to some of you says:

Congratulations! You are the first response I have read that I can tell is a person with confidence! You see the true meaning behin reading, a means to escape the world for an enjoyable moment while in your safe environment of home! If people allowed ANY book to warp their mind then I guess all bookstores would go courrupt, that or we’d have lots of blonde twins, light saber fighting, dinosaur creatures, and aliens want to be’s walking the face of the earth now… I enjoyed your comment! Good luck with the career! You should be proud!

36. Jakki says:

Omg i just heard bout this series and I seriously hope it will be released soon!!!! I would totally buy it!! I used to read them when I was a teenager and honestly, they’re just fluff – nothing more!!! I know the storylines are pretty ridiculous and the gender ideals and whatnot can be seen as ‘anti feminist’ but i think most girls would just see it as a bit of light, fun reading 😛 Haha!

37. Chrissy says:

wow, I guess I never thought that people would take a book so litterally. I mean I read all the sweet vally books and I loved them, but i didnt seam to think that i had to look different then I did or act a certain way, after all it is just a book, and outlet into a different world. If the case is that it is going to have a bad impact on young girls and their views of themselves, then shouldnt we be worried about letting our kids play with barbie dolls, and watching things like hanna montana on tv? if no one thinks those things have an impact on how girls want to look, dress, talk and act then how could you think that a book will? If a kid knows tv is just make believe then dont you give them enough credit to see that books are too? and further more, these books dont show girls in an oppressive light, I dont understand anti feminist at all, you are seriously taking a great series of books and trying to make it into something its not. HAVE YOU EVEN READ a book?!@

38. Sarah says:

I did read these books as a teenager growing up and i personally feel that they had a huge impact on the way i thought of myself, but at the time i never realized, i would read these books and just think why couldn’t i look “perfect” like the twins? maybe guys would like me if i was blonde. I’m not a feminist really but i felt these books had a realy bad influence on my self-esteem. But thats just me.

• An oldie to some of you says:

Try some counseling, did you let 90210 or Melrose affect your self esteem as well?
      The negative comments about this series are silly, they are fiction, just that, fiction, reading is a hobby of pleasure, I suggest instead of fiction, try some self help books

39. Veronica says:

Some people really do overdramatize things which is apparent after reading some of the comments on this website. I read all of the Sweet Valley series’ from the time I was in 4th grade until the last one was published. The only ones I didn’t read were the Elizabeth series books. They didn’t have any effect on me except to take me to another world for the hour or so it took me to read one. Yes, some of the storylines were ridiculous and yeah, they celebrated some holidays several times throughout the series but you have to remember that Francine Pascal probably didn’t think the series would become as popular as it did. And you can’t deny that it became very popular because she continued the series for over 20 years. They would’ve continued on for almost 30 if she hadn’t decided to end the series’ while they were still on top. I, for one, don’t like the updated books/covers. I wouldn’t mind seeing them re-released with the original covers and content but know this won’t happen. The only reason I want them re-released is because I lost the majority of my books and want to replace them with brand-new copies.

• An oldie to some of you says:

Great comments! You hit it right on the mark! A book is exactly that, a book, a story – and some of these comments actually concern me as a therapist – to think people are allowing “their minds to be warped” by a fictional town called Sweet Valley and two pretty twins, well obviously they do not know fiction from reality or they were afraid of climbing out of their own dreams to be the person they really are and be proud of that person.
      Good job on your reply.

40. An oldie to some of you says:

In reading the 1st comments about the SVH series in comparison to Gossip Girl – must you be so negative? Everything deserves a try – I grew up reading SVH as they were published, and thus far out of curiousity have read the SVH books F. Pascal re-released, I think she did an excellent job of updating material and bringing the story line up to date with all the “must have’s” in today’s teenage life. Sorry the 80’s were boring to you… if you were even around then

41. Olivia says:

I’m just getting around to reading this and my goodness! I read alot of these books when I was younger and I don’t think that they affected me any more than any kind of pop culture has. We are surrounded by a society that belives that the only way to be popular is to be thin. You see this in almost every novel you will pick up. There are very few novels where the main characters are ugly and fat, especially YA novels because teens already feel aqward and they just want to an escape. Thats what reading is, an escape. Most people know from an early age that fiction is not reality and there is no reason that you should base your world views on what you read about in one series of books.
    Sorry if this comment is a little jumbled or is random. I’m taking a quick study break and I have pre-test brain fry.