All the way with Tom McKay, or #30 Jealous Lies

I’ll manage to squeeze this one in before I leave.

I totally decided to do this one because I wanted some assinine sorority action, like Jessica organizing an assembly where she circle’s the pledge’ fat in the auditorium and having it sponsored by the school. Firstly, it involves Sandra Bacon and Jean West, who are really boring. I also get Jean West confused with Maria Santinelli.

Jean and Sandy are bffs and are in cheerleading together, but Sandy has always been jealous of Jean and doesn’t want her in Pi Beta Alpha so she can have an identity of her own. I can see her point, kind of. If Sandy is so plain and boring like she thinks she is, how is she a cheerleader and in PBA? I thought only the prettiest and most popular were in it, according to Jessica. Whatevs.

So Sandy sets up Jean with a difficult pledge task, taking a (pre-gay) Tom Mckay to the big party. Sandy lets on to Tom that Jean is only showing interest in him as a pledge, and Tom decides to stand her up. Jean’s next pledge is to make Tom fall in love with her and then snub him at the big Friday the 13th dance (what the fuck would this school do without a dance on Friday night? Probably kill themselves). Well, in case you’re an idiot, I don’t have to tell you that Tom and jean do end up falling in love, and Sandra comes clean to Jean and they make up. Snore.

Where are our favorite madonna/whore twins? Don’t worry, they are busy manipulating family members. Steven announces he wants to take some time off from college to work on a cruise ship. Everyone is of course aghast but you know what? I would say, go for it Steve, Firstly, get the hell out of Sweet Valley for a while and see other places! Get out of your privileged bubble! Realize that other places are not like Sweet Valley! There are non-thin, non-white, non-judgemental people out there! He spends too much time at home anyway. Also, it wouldn’t hurt for him to make an hourly salary for manual labor, let him gain some perspective. Also, if he is not feeling college right now, it’s called a leave of absebce! But of course, these are my rational reasons and everyone could NOT fathom WHY anyone would leave Sweet Valley. So the twins hatch a plan to convince him that they want him to go, and then he’ll realize he’ll want to stay. Wy to manipulate your family member’s emotions. Anf of course, he does stay. Duh.

I hate how Liz and Enid are still in the sorority, despite being opposed to it. If they really were against it, they would de-pledge. I think they secretly enjoy it but of COURSE would never admit it. Hypocrites.

Haha, about Tom: “He was exactly the kind of guy most girls dreamed about, but he seldom dated. The last girl he’d gone with was Jessica Wakefield, and a few people joked that she had turned him off the female sex forever.” Foreshadowing????

Other thoughts:

The girls do water ballet in gym class. Wtf?

36 thoughts on “All the way with Tom McKay, or #30 Jealous Lies

1. Suzanne Devlin says:

This was one of my favorite non-Wakefields-centric books. I just remember really liking the descriptions of Jean West’s outfits, like when she was getting ready for her date with Tom.

2. Dwanollah says:

Oh, man, how did I miss that?

So why did Sandy have to go through all this angsty two-faced stuff when she could’ve just annonymously blackballed Jean during the secret vote. Like anyone would’ve known it was her?

This was one of the worst hilarity-and-hijinx-ensue B-plots, too.

Suzanne Devlin, I, too, drooled over Jean’s clothes in this… even on the cover! I was also totally jellus that, at SVH, you could take WATER BALLET for gym.

3. Suzanne Devlin says:

That is TOTALLY a Members Only jacket! Of course I had the same one when I was 9, along with my pink jelly shoes and my Esprit bag.

4. Jessa Fields says:

“The last girl he’d gone with was Jessica Wakefield, and a few people joked that she had turned him off the female sex forever.”

That is too funny. Great catch!

5. Jessa Fields says:

This is unrelated to anything, but I had to post about it! (I think the Dairi Burger needs a message board!)
    Check this out:

I’ve heard a terrible yet wonderful rumor that they rewrote the initial SVHs and updated them for today’s audience. It might actually be true since this book is coming out next spring.

And the best part is that the update is allegedly leading up to the release of something either called SV Confidential or SV Heights, where all the characters are in their thrities and live together in a “Melrose Place” type apartment complex.

Jesus I am so lame…at this rate I’m going to be reading “Sweet Valley Retirement Community”…

6. Jessa Fields says:

I don’t know, but check out the lavalieres!

I also like how the have a “New York Times” mention on the cover. Because that will bring in the younger crowd.

7. Magenta Galaxy says:

I never heard of sororities in high school, either. Seems like high schools wouldn’t want them, since PBA at least seems like nothing more than a way to make girls who aren’t members feel bad about themselves. Like high school needs more of THAT.

• Goldray says:

We had a sorority in high school. During “hell week” when the rushees dressed in their tacky clothes and no makeup, our french teachers sent the pledges to the office for dress code violation. Of course, the sorority members tried to argue the point. Madame said something like: This is high school is NOT Sweet Valley High. Ah, ha ha!

8. greer says:

Water ballet… you know, they also did this in BSC and in GirlTalk. I think if there is no water ballet, you are disqualified from the genre.

Do high schools even have sororities? I always thought it was a strictly college thing.

9. kiwimusume says:

Sandy and Jean look like Daphne and Celeste dressing 80s.

“U-G-L-Y, you’re brunette and have brown eyes!
    U-G-L-Y, you’re a size 8, die die die!”

10. The Kuus says:

Is it me, or do the twins look about 33 on the new cover of Double Love? They don’t even look young enough to be 16 in the 90210 universe.

11. Kellie says:

***Also, if PBA is so exclusive and only takes the prettiest and most popular girls, how the fuck did Enid get in?***

^ wasn’t Caroline Pearce also a member?

I disagree that the Olsen twins should be used on the covers. I could never see them as Jessica and Elizabeth.

12. Eli says:

So Sandy is supposed to be plain and boring and overshadowed by Jean’s awesomeness? In that picture Sandy looks a whole lot cuter than Jean. Jean looks like a cross between an alien and an eel, what with her eyes that far apart. Plus she has a stupidly coordinated headband and shirt, ala Elizabeth and her barrettes.

13. Amy Slutton says:

Ahh, my first Sweet Valley High book! I have a special fondness for this one. Count me in on drooling over Jeannie’s outfits! And I thought she was so-o-o-o-o pretty… and I practically swooned when she and Tom McKay kiss on the ferris wheel… *sigh* 😀

14. James says:

—now THAT’S what i call foreshadowing!

15. Becca says:

I was obsessed with the SVH for quite awhile but I think I gave up on them around the 40’s or so. So is Tom McKay really gay? Now that would be something for Sweet Valley. I can’t imagine what Bruce’s comments would be.

16. janeprimrose says:

James: He had to be destroyed. For the town.

This cover has so much pink I think it ovulates. Jean looks like Mary Anne Spier.

17. Sara2008 says:

“Where are our favorite madonna/whore twins? Don’t worry, they are busy manipulating family members.”

Haha!

18. katie says:

I actually quite liked this book. Well, not the Wakefields subplot. Why can’t they let Steven make his own decisions??

I thought Jean looked quite cute, in an innocent way. At least it’s not one of those smug or condescending looks.

19. Beckster says:

OMG. I looked at the Amazon link for the new books, and now the twns are a perfect size 4. I quote: “I’m totally serious!” Jessica protested. “First of all, I gained, like, five pounds since last week-all in my hips and butt,” she said, turning around and craning her neck to see her rear view in the mirror. Her perfect-size-four rear view. “