Hey Didi Darling!

I had my parents send me more of my books from childhood, which they have in storage, so I’ve been skimming some that I remember that were pretty awesome. Did anyone ever read this one?

Holy shit, this book was my life. These teenage girls had a rock band and they became frustrated that no one was taking them seriously because they were women. So they decided to cross dress and pose as an all-boy group. Then they gain popularity and attract lots of adoring female fans and hikinks ensue while they try not to reveal their true identities. First of all, how in the hell did they even pass as boys? That astounded me. Looking back, I now see this could have been a statement of feminism/the glass ceiling and even on the effects of transphobia. Or maybe I am looking into it too much.

Some boy in their class finds out their secret and blackmails them into letting them join their band. They also enter a battle of the bands type thing and their identities are revealed and they still get chances to play. Their one fan, Didi is in love with their guitarist and follows them around threatening to steal their identity.

They also end up entering a battle of the bands and winning, finally revealing their identities to the world. This really should have been a series.

12 thoughts on “Hey Didi Darling!

1. kristin says:

OH my gosh I remember this! And wasn’t Didi only pretending to have a crush on them because her mother was worried she was not interested in boys yet or something and she wanted her to leave her alone? Or she didn’t have a boyfriend or something and so wanted people to think it was because she was in love with someone unattainable?

2. Johanna says:

HOLY CRAP! I remember this book. I remember reading it in middle school during lunch. (’cause I was like Lynne Henry, sadly.) Wasn’t there something in here about popcorn? Like…maybe a song about popcorn?

And wait, wasn’t there a part where they almost won something, but one mostly-male group with a girl drummer? And they were all like “OMG sexism!”?

I may need to find this one…

Yea, it was pretty good for a kids book- with a good message but not overly sappy. And the battle of the bands had tons of bands entering…like every kid between the ages of 13 and 15 had bands.

4. onnie says:

wow oh wow – i get caught up in my crappy case briefs, and stop reading, and you pull out all the “oldie but goodie” books, rob!!! next up – do The Secret Circle trilogy – remember that? now THOSE were the shit!!!

5. Merrie says:

Don’t get me interested in another YA book!!!! I’m reading the Gossip Girls series right now and I feel so weird whenever I got to the young adult section of my public library. Is anyone reading them? They are really good.

I’m happy to report my box of ‘All That Glitters’ books arrived in the mail last week and I read all eight over the weekend. Ah, Katie and Shana and Mitch — it was awesome. It had some great 80s clothing descriptions, too. Does anyone know if the series ended after book No. 8?

Does anyone remember the Junior High series? The characters included Nora, Jen and Denise, who was a tranfer student from Switzerland (because girls transfer to small middle schools from Swiss boarding schools all the time). I bought one of the books at a garage sale the other day. It’s not that good. I wish I could find the one when the eighth-grade class ran the school for a day.

6. Jennifer says:

Who else remembers the Cheerleaders series? They are as snark worthy as SVH. I will admit though, that I stole some parts of a few of their cheers when I was a cheerleader. Yikes- their cheers SUCKED!

7. Roxy says:

I remember the Junior High series. Wasn’t there one book where the grade eight students got assigned all the jobs of the teachers and custodians?

8. wanderingfrog says:

Jennifer, I was a complete Cheerleaders addict when I was five and six. I must have been the weirdest five-year-old on the planet. I only owned #1 and got all of the rest from the library, so I read Trying Out about a billion times and had it practically memorized, but I barely remember anything at all that happened in any other book! I have bought a couple of the other books in the series in the past few years, like at yard sales where I could get them for ten cents, but I haven’t actually read any of them as an adult. I just sort of like having them around.

9. Rebekka says:

I read Cheerleaders, too, Jennifer!

I’ve never seen this one, but I’ll have to see if my library system has one in circulation. I’d forgotten about all these except SVH, but I’m pleased to know I wasn’t the only one reading Sleepover Friends, PenPals, Fabulous Five, etc.

10. Suzanne Devlin says:

Did anyone read Girls of Canby Hall…it wasn’t as popular or scandalous as SVH but I loved them. The best were the early books when the roommates were Dana, Faith and Shelley. There was always a token black girl, a token girl from the sticks and the token sophisticate.

11. Julia says:

Oh sweet joy of joys! I’ve been searching for this book for years but I couldn’t remember the title. I took it to camp before 4th grade, it got rained on and I wasn’t able to finish it.

I found the premise totally baffling at the time, albeit enjoyable(to my young mind everybody liked the awesome, totally respectable music of Madonna, Belinda Carlisle etc). Now, 18 years later, I can definitely see why they would pretend to be boys. In fact, in my town the “indie” station plays a female voice once every 2 hours or so.